The Student Room Group

Meteorology & Oceanography or Natural Sciences.

Hello all, I currently study at UEA (amazing university, absolutely love it!) and I've just about finished my foundation year of Environmental Science. Happily I've exceeded expectation and so far I've done really well in all my assessments which leaves my options open for next year on what to study at degree level.

So, subject to me getting at least 75% in my maths test I've decided to choose between tranferring on to the Meteorology & Oceanography degree or Natural Sciences.

So I'm having trouble deciding what to pick. I would love to pursue a career in Meteorology like working for the Met Office and I went to an incredible guest lecture by someone who was going off to work in Antartica with the British Antartic Survey which really inspired me. Plus a lot of the new BBC Horizon programs on iPlayer at the moment.

So the choice would seem to be clearly the M&O degree, however if I choose Natural Sciences I can pick the same modules I would study in Meteorology plus I have the option of picking a core Physics module which you don't have in M&O. Which seems to me like it potentially could be more useful.

Any advice from people who have done similar degrees or gone to work in this field? Thanks!
I don't think doing a few physics modules is going to make any real difference to your work/postgraduate options. If you really want to study physics and you don't think the meteorology degree has enough physics in it to satisfy you then sure, go for Natural Sciences, but don't do NS just because you think it looks more impressive.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I don't think doing a few physics modules is going to make any real difference to your work/postgraduate options. If you really want to study physics and you don't think the meteorology degree has enough physics in it to satisfy you then sure, go for Natural Sciences, but don't do NS just because you think it looks more impressive.

Yea, it's not just how it looks I really did enjoy the physics module this year and although it was only covering the basics I think I picked it up quite quickly.
I mean if I do natural sciences there is an Astrphysics module in the second year which looks amazing but in Meteorology they have a lot of modules which look like they cross over with physics such as Atmospheric Composition and Dynamic Planet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending