Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need a good revision book for f maths. I used the cgp book for A-level maths but they dont have any for further maths. Just wondering if there is such a book in circulation. I'd prefer if it was as easy to comprehend as the cgp one but that's secondary.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that its unlikely that such a book exists.
    Why not use some online resources like MathsNet.net ?

ReputationRep:
    Just do questions in your textbook, they should have loads. That's how you revise for maths, o loads of questions, and when you can't answer one, get some help. Don't get help when you make an error though... just check through until you can find where you went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could buy another text book, if you do a search on amazon you will find plenty

ReputationRep:
    The Heinemann Modular Mathematics books are good, although they're designed specifically for the Edexcel syllabus, and that's changing this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    The Heinemann Modular Mathematics books are good, although they're designed specifically for the Edexcel syllabus, and that's changing this year.
    I used the heinemann modular mathematics books, and found them very easy to read/understand and they have extensive examples of the different types of problem that you may encounter. However i did do the edexcel syllabus, so if you are doing another board then you should check to see which modules contain what. Although most of the different boards cover the same material, they may have it in different modules.

ReputationRep:
    the heinemann modular books are really good for AQA maths too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)

They've got 4 new books coming to replace P1-P3 and fit the new C1-C4 syllabus...I guess P4-P6 will remain the same but will change names...

ReputationRep:
    Except that if Alexdel has already done A-Level maths then he will be doing the old syllabus (P4-6 etc) for his further maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I forgot the syllabus changes weren't that extensive. However, Heinemann will no doubt republish their books with no change to their content, just different covers, and make a lot of money off them.

The books are generally very helpful, but I have one or two complaints. The first is that the answers at the back are not always reliable, and it's irritating when you think they're right and you're wondering what went wrong with your answer, and then you find out that you're the one that was right all along. Also, some of their proofs are not very elegant. For example, the proof that INT(1/x) = ln|x| + C is much better done algebraically, rather than the geometric proof they attempt.

ReputationRep:
    There is a book that is very helpful and covers extensive material for Further Maths.

It is called 'Further Pure Mathematics' by Brian and Mark Gaulter and is available from Amazon

ReputationRep:
    They still have the books for the old syllabus as us people have done/are doing, they're just manufacturing the new ones now.

The Heinemann Maths books specifically written for AQA B are superb.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.