• Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Just wondering as they're knocking down a nearby mill and have been starting at 7am this past week which although with our building layout it probably doesnt wake anyone up, is pretty loud regardless ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Just wondering as they're knocking down a nearby mill and have been starting at 7am this past week which although with our building layout it probably doesnt wake anyone up, is pretty loud regardless ?
    I think it depends on the area you live, but there's generally restrictions on the hours they should be making noise in :holmes:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I think it depends on the area you live, but there's generally restrictions on the hours they should be making noise in :holmes:
    We live in a big residential area so recon they shouldn't start so early
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    We live in a big residential area so recon they shouldn't start so early
    Sorry, I mean in the sense of which council you fall under etc

It will apply to residential areas either way, but might vary on the timings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Sorry, I mean in the sense of which council you fall under etc

It will apply to residential areas either way, but might vary on the timings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My local council website has nothing on it, I ll ask them when I have to phone up to pay council tax tommorow
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    My local council website has nothing on it, I ll ask them when I have to phone up to pay council tax tommorow
    As said its the responsibility of the Council.

Section 60 of the Control of Pollution Act 1974 (COPA)
    Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

Talk to the Environmental Protection department.

They can serve a notice and if they dont comply, then they get fined. See what they have to say as complaints may already have been made or start a petition or go and talk to the site owners. Keep a diary if its regular.

Typical hours might be

7.30am until 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am until 1pm on Saturdays. No noisy works should be carried out on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    As said its the responsibility of the Council.

Section 60 of the Control of Pollution Act 1974 (COPA)
    Section 79 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

Talk to the Environmental Protection department.

They can serve a notice and if they dont comply, then they get fined. See what they have to say as complaints may already have been made or start a petition or go and talk to the site owners. Keep a diary if its regular.

Typical hours might be

7.30am until 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am until 1pm on Saturdays. No noisy works should be carried out on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
    I think so far it's been that they be started at 7am on weekdays otherwise they ve been within those hours, don't have much faith in environmental health but if it gets worse I m speaking to them.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think so far it's been that they be started at 7am on weekdays otherwise they ve been within those hours, don't have much faith in environmental health but if it gets worse I m speaking to them.
    If its just you they are going to care imo. With money involved, then they are just going to do it. The only way environmental; health are going to be bothered is if there are pre existing conditions and you have good evidence they are breaching it or there are lots of complaints about the same thing.

If you think its regular, then start keeping a diary now. You mght be able to tell if you have a look at what is planned for that site. It might be demolition and then building after i.e a long term thing.

In that case you might wnat to put them on notice now.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If its just you they are going to care imo. With money involved, then they are just going to do it. The only way environmental; health are going to be bothered is if there are pre existing conditions and you have good evidence they are breaching it or there are lots of complaints about the same thing.

If you think its regular, then start keeping a diary now. You mght be able to tell if you have a look at what is planned for that site. It might be demolition and then building after i.e a long term thing.

In that case you might wnat to put them on notice now.
    It appears the council has given planning permission for 70 homes to be built on the site after the buildings been knocked down so I recon that a little earlier than supposed noise won't be a big deal to them but shall keep an eye on it.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It could be different sub contractors, so they might keep to any rules. Am surprised you couldnt find it on the website.

ReputationRep:
    Demolition/ construction and reconstruction will all be covered.
    IMHO the planning or building control people are possibly the people to talk to

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.