Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Philosophy undergrad to International Relations postgrad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I want to take a masters in international relations, preferably at either Bath or Bristol University. I have a first in philosophy from the University of Birmingham, and my main interest was political philosophy and my module choices reflected that to an extent.

I would like to know how easy it is to convert to a different subject from a different undergrad study, in general. I would also like to know your opinion on my chances of being able to do this at universities such as Bath or Bristol that are somewhat higher regarded than my own. Thanks for your time
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by seal36)
    IR is generally pretty open to subject changes like yours. Take a careful look at Bath and make sure IR is still thriving, generally bath is focussing on STEM subjects and humanities are taking a back seat in terms of investment. There won't be any issue moving from Birmingham to either institution.

ReputationRep:
    IR is inter disciplinary course and accepts many undergrad degrees. Most are social sciences, I know people who did humanities including philosophy. Incidentally, your first class BA is more important for admission as indicator of academic strength. On master's level, some unis may require core modules in policy analysis besides governance and politics.

ReputationRep:
    Its do-able, but you will be lacking the background in Social Science theory that other grads have from 3 whole years of previous study. If you are prepared to do a great deal more reading than other students and accept that you will always be on the back-foot compared to others who have a Politics/IR background, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Its do-able, but you will be lacking the background in Social Science theory that other grads have from 3 whole years of previous study. If you are prepared to do a great deal more reading than other students and accept that you will always be on the back-foot compared to others who have a Politics/IR background, go for it.
    I think I'll be fine with that, I'm happy to start reading in the interval between applying and starting the course. I can find out where to start.

I don't necessarily want to do international relations, but almost certainly I would like to study something politics related. That said, can anyone provide me with a quick list of the subject areas I could do a masters in (but not a conversion course like law)? It turns out that its quite difficult to google things like: 'postgrad in subjects philosophy undergrad'.

ReputationRep:
    Just google "MA Politics" or whatever.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.