kaydenise23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I was wondering if there was any route to becoming a doctor after training to be a nurse?

I'm hopefully starting an Access course in September, with the hopes of going to Uni next year, to study either Nursing or Medicine.

Ideally I'd go for Medicine but as Nursing is my back up plan, I was wondering if there was still a way to become a Doctor after I have completed my Nursing degree.

Many thanks,

Kay
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. You'd have to quit nursing and apply to do medicine at university.

The only caveat is that like other graduates you would be eligible for graduate entry, which is a year shorter (but actually much more competitive).
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kaydenise23)
Hello,

I was wondering if there was any route to becoming a doctor after training to be a nurse?

I'm hopefully starting an Access course in September, with the hopes of going to Uni next year, to study either Nursing or Medicine.

Ideally I'd go for Medicine but as Nursing is my back up plan, I was wondering if there was still a way to become a Doctor after I have completed my Nursing degree.

Many thanks,

Kay
Above advice is correct, medicine is a completely different degree. I would really urge you to get some experience of nursing as nursing doesn't really act as a logical back-up plan for medicine (most medicine applicants would have biomedical science or similar as a back-up). Nursing is a very demanding and practical course and if it isn't what you want to do then you will really struggle to complete your degree.

There are similar roles within nursing that can be achieved, although they do require hard work and experience. You could eventually train to become an Advanced Nurse Practitioner which is somewhere between a nurse and a doctor (you are able to diagnose, prescribe, assess etc.) but is a slightly different role depending on what sort of clinical setting you're working in. In some hospitals, ANPs act as a sort of first responder to acutely unwell patients across the hospital, and others are attached to just one ward.
angelseyes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there my friend became a doctor after working as a nurse for 10 years! but she had a great set of A level Sciences so she had science behind her. Like above said she did the graduate degree did 4 years instead of 5 or 6 shes qualified now and is a GP. She didnt know she wanted to be a doctor until she started nursing and she said the difference is having more knowledge to actually treat patients where as nursing is much more practical and patient care based. She became more interested in how to treat a patient rather than caring for the patient on the ward. Hope that helps you abit x
Ljayne89
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, there are very few access courses which allow you to apply to medicine. You should check that you can apply with the access course you plan on doing... here is a link to an access course which allows you to apply for medicine:

https://www.cwa.ac.uk/our-courses/su...and-dentistry/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.82%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.26%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.26%
I need help with my personal statement (64)
42.11%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.97%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.89%

Watched Threads