Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering if there was any route to becoming a doctor after training to be a nurse?

I'm hopefully starting an Access course in September, with the hopes of going to Uni next year, to study either Nursing or Medicine.

Ideally I'd go for Medicine but as Nursing is my back up plan, I was wondering if there was still a way to become a Doctor after I have completed my Nursing degree.

Many thanks,

Kay

ReputationRep:
    No. You'd have to quit nursing and apply to do medicine at university.

The only caveat is that like other graduates you would be eligible for graduate entry, which is a year shorter (but actually much more competitive).
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by kaydenise23)
    Hello,

I was wondering if there was any route to becoming a doctor after training to be a nurse?

I'm hopefully starting an Access course in September, with the hopes of going to Uni next year, to study either Nursing or Medicine.

Ideally I'd go for Medicine but as Nursing is my back up plan, I was wondering if there was still a way to become a Doctor after I have completed my Nursing degree.

Many thanks,

Kay
    Above advice is correct, medicine is a completely different degree. I would really urge you to get some experience of nursing as nursing doesn't really act as a logical back-up plan for medicine (most medicine applicants would have biomedical science or similar as a back-up). Nursing is a very demanding and practical course and if it isn't what you want to do then you will really struggle to complete your degree.

There are similar roles within nursing that can be achieved, although they do require hard work and experience. You could eventually train to become an Advanced Nurse Practitioner which is somewhere between a nurse and a doctor (you are able to diagnose, prescribe, assess etc.) but is a slightly different role depending on what sort of clinical setting you're working in. In some hospitals, ANPs act as a sort of first responder to acutely unwell patients across the hospital, and others are attached to just one ward.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there my friend became a doctor after working as a nurse for 10 years! but she had a great set of A level Sciences so she had science behind her. Like above said she did the graduate degree did 4 years instead of 5 or 6 shes qualified now and is a GP. She didnt know she wanted to be a doctor until she started nursing and she said the difference is having more knowledge to actually treat patients where as nursing is much more practical and patient care based. She became more interested in how to treat a patient rather than caring for the patient on the ward. Hope that helps you abit x

ReputationRep:
    Also, there are very few access courses which allow you to apply to medicine. You should check that you can apply with the access course you plan on doing... here is a link to an access course which allows you to apply for medicine:

https://www.cwa.ac.uk/our-courses/su...and-dentistry/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.