Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I've been going to CBT sessions for quite a while now and really I just find them kind of useless and a waste of time? I feel like they don't help me at all and the only thing they do is make me anxious before every appointment. I'm not really good at talking about myself but I've tried and it just feels pointless like stuff we talk about I can find out online. I sort of want to stop going but I still feel depressed and if I go to my GP for like medication i don't want them to say something like "you never finished your sessions no wonder you still feel bad" so I don't know what to do? I have an appointment today but I don't want to go, what should I do?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by purplebricks)
    Hey,
    I've been going to CBT sessions for quite a while now and really I just find them kind of useless and a waste of time? I feel like they don't help me at all and the only thing they do is make me anxious before every appointment. I'm not really good at talking about myself but I've tried and it just feels pointless like stuff we talk about I can find out online. I sort of want to stop going but I still feel depressed and if I go to my GP for like medication i don't want them to say something like "you never finished your sessions no wonder you still feel bad" so I don't know what to do? I have an appointment today but I don't want to go, what should I do?
    Tell whoever you see that you don't feel it helping and see if there is any way they can change it up a little bit. There are other types of therapy you may be able to get too so talk to your doctor about your options. I personally found CBT really awkward and unhelpfull and only really started finding it helpful when I went to group therapy (not what I would have expected since I don't really like people but it made me feel less of a target and more of an observer- also helped to know I wasn't alone in how I felt). I also found that medication helped level me out just enough to respond better to therapy since otherwise I was very closed off and paranoid about saying things.

Some things just don't work for some people and that's okay. You just need to find what does help and the way to do that is by telling people what doesn't.

Hope you find the right fit soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Tell whoever you see that you don't feel it helping and see if there is any way they can change it up a little bit. There are other types of therapy you may be able to get too so talk to your doctor about your options. I personally found CBT really awkward and unhelpfull and only really started finding it helpful when I went to group therapy (not what I would have expected since I don't really like people but it made me feel less of a target and more of an observer- also helped to know I wasn't alone in how I felt). I also found that medication helped level me out just enough to respond better to therapy since otherwise I was very closed off and paranoid about saying things.

Some things just don't work for some people and that's okay. You just need to find what does help and the way to do that is by telling people what doesn't.

Hope you find the right fit soon
    Thank you for replying! I didn't go today I just got nervous and cancelled so I guess I can tell my therapist its not working for me next week even if I would prefer to tell him over email haha... Thanks again

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.