Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm currently studying A levels in Biology, Chemistry Maths and I'm predicted A's in all of them. I initially wanted to study medicine and that do an Msc in Sports and exercise medicine. However, I am now wondering if there are any other degrees I could do which would enable me to do this instead of studying medicine. I'd love to own my practice one day, or maybe even become a team doctor or physic for the Team GB at the olympics. I was just curious as what would give me my best chance of achieving this.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm currently studying A levels in Biology, Chemistry Maths and I'm predicted A's in all of them. I initially wanted to study medicine and that do an Msc in Sports and exercise medicine. However, I am now wondering if there are any other degrees I could do which would enable me to do this instead of studying medicine. I'd love to own my practice one day, or maybe even become a team doctor or physic for the Team GB at the olympics. I was just curious as what would give me my best chance of achieving this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emjbeeeee)
    You can't be a doctor unless you go to medical school and get a medical degree.

If you want to be a physiotherapist etc then you'd need to do a physiotherapy degree.

Sports and exercise medicine wasn't a distinct medical specialty until quite recently; traditionally it was something of a special interest mostly for GPs or orthopods. However, there's now a dedicated training pathway for it. Doing the MSc isn't a part of that training pathway, though it's something which you might want to do anyway. But that's all a very long way off - we're literally talking about a decision you'd be making in about 10 years time.

The most important thing to decide now while you're in sixth form is what general direction you'd like to take when you apply for university. I would personally think of this as whether you'd like to pursue your interest in sports healthcare from the position of a doctor or a non-doctor.

If you're interested in being a sports doctor, you would have to firstly go through medical school and learn about lots of different specialties, nearly all of which will have nothing to do with sports or exercise medicine. You could do extra-curriculars in SEM as a student and organise a SEM elective during your final year, but this would be for a couple of months at most, so you need to ensure that you still have a general, broad interest in medicine and being a doctor, and not just SEM, as otherwise you will be quite bored during medical school and your first four years as a doctor.

I would recommend getting some work experience (if you haven't already) so you can decide whether being a doctor is the sort of job you'd generally be interested in to begin with. You can then start thinking about SEM once you hopefully get into medical school e.g. there are SEM societies you can join, you can get involved with some research, go to conferences etc and build up your CV.

If all of this doesn't sound like your thing, then I'm sure there are other options which could still involve working in sports healthcare e.g. physiotherapy, sports science, sports psychology etc but I can't really advise on those since I have no experience of them. Hope that helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.