Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So am in year 12 and I want to apply to university for economics but my economics teacher says that if I apply to a uni that wants 3 As (3 a levels) and I have 2 As and Distinction in a btec then I will get rejected or have a low chance of being given an offer. Is this true?

I do maths, economics, it btec but want to drop sociology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BTEC will reduce your chances - especially for Russell group universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RooT_Fifteen)
    BTEC will reduce your chances - especially for Russell group universities.
    By how much though? Am I a problem now because I failed sociology today and will get a e or a U but I will have it btec maths and economics, so I can't even do sociology next year -_- , I think the only thing I can do is drop the btec and pick up an intensive alevel however, do you know how the college will predict me for that course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)
    By how much though? Am I a problem now because I failed sociology today and will get a e or a U but I will have it btec maths and economics, so I can't even do sociology next year -_- , I think the only thing I can do is drop the btec and pick up an intensive alevel however, do you know how the college will predict me for that course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not being the admission team, I cant give you any specific figure for that question unfortunately.

Although I have no hard facts to back this up, given the competition for Economics at the top end, with a BTEC in IT I don't think you'll make Russell group to read Economics. This is just my slightly cynical view. Amongst my sample, the most successful student who studied BTEC IT + 2 A-Levels (English Lit A* + Sociology A) went to Southampton to do Film.

I would strongly suggest trying to do a third A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    People from my IT BTEC class got into: Southampton, Manchester, Bath, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Kings College London, Cardiff and Reading amongst others, this wad to study Computer Science however

You do Maths and Econ aswell, you'll be fine, just focus on meeting the requiremnts, most unis including most russell groups will count the BTEC Subsidiary as one A level (which is what its worth) and work your offer around that som with required grades of A*AA you could get D*AA and meet the offer, as long ad you get the requires grade in maths, so if somewhere wanted an A* in maths you'd have to get A*(maths)DA

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RooT_Fifteen)
    Not being the admission team, I cant give you any specific figure for that question unfortunately.

Although I have no hard facts to back this up, given the competition for Economics at the top end, with a BTEC in IT I don't think you'll make Russell group to read Economics. This is just my slightly cynical view. Amongst my sample, the most successful student who studied BTEC IT + 2 A-Levels (English Lit A* + Sociology A) went to Southampton to do Film.

I would strongly suggest trying to do a third A-Level.
    Yeah but he did english lit and sociolocy lol so obviously he wasn't getting in to anything better and I asked my tutor and he said I can't do another third a level unless the head of that subject lets me so I will have to wait after results, thank you though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    People from my IT BTEC class got into: Southampton, Manchester, Bath, Surrey, Royal Holloway, Kings College London, Cardiff and Reading amongst others, this wad to study Computer Science however

You do Maths and Econ aswell, you'll be fine, just focus on meeting the requiremnts, most unis including most russell groups will count the BTEC Subsidiary as one A level (which is what its worth) and work your offer around that som with required grades of A*AA you could get D*AA and meet the offer, as long ad you get the requires grade in maths, so if somewhere wanted an A* in maths you'd have to get A*(maths)DA

Hope this helps
    Those unis are good, similar to where I would like to go so thank you, it did help !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99)
    Yeah but he did english lit and sociolocy lol so obviously he wasn't getting in to anything better and I asked my tutor and he said I can't do another third a level unless the head of that subject lets me so I will have to wait after results, thank you though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait, you're mocking someone for taking sociology and getting an A? The very subject you just failed. Well done kid, that makes sense.
    An A* in English Lit is just as hard as an A* in economics or maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    Wait, you're mocking someone for taking sociology and getting an A? The very subject you just failed. Well done kid, that makes sense.
    An A* in English Lit is just as hard as an A* in economics or maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I didn't revise and I didn't have a teacher and maths and economics is way harder then english lit tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.