The Student Room Group

How overrated is Beyonce?

I'd say she is very overrated, I'm not saying she is completely talentless...but she doesn't write her own lyrics, she doesn't produce/make her own music, her choreography is rather boring and seems to be always the same thing. Another big thing is many people regarding her as being a feminist or a black activist, but I think behind that image is just a big money making scheme... Tell me if I'm wrong.
Original post by Vlad_Tepes
I'd say she is very overrated, I'm not saying she is completely talentless...but she doesn't write her own lyrics, she doesn't produce/make her own music, her choreography is rather boring and seems to be always the same thing. Another big thing is many people regarding her as being a feminist or a black activist, but I think behind that image is just a big money making scheme... Tell me if I'm wrong.

Obviously this is a very opinion-heavy but here's my chip in:
Can't stand her. I don't get the hype. I could write a really, really long list of other 'artists' that I could say the same about.
She thinks she's someone, she's too full of herself. She doesn't write her own music, lyrics blah blah. She's a puppet basically. She has quite a good voice compared to some people these days, which is fair enough, but like many others, she's just in it for the money.
I agree she is over hyped. There are so many better individual female singers who have a more original sound. Personally I think it's all about her image and social presence
you should probably check the writing, producing etc. credits for her new album because they've got her name on it.... so you're wrong about that. I love her music but i think people put her up on a really high pedestal, she's not perfect. I can't disagree with you on the last point, I have debated whether she's actually a feminist or whether she just uses it to appeal to her audience...but i guess she maybe prefers to express it through her music
Every recognised artist can be described as 'overrated' because music appreciation is subjective and they're so hyped up that eventually someone will see them as less than everyone makes them out to be. I would say that Beyoncé is talented though and she makes music that a lot of people enjoy
Reply 6

Totally agree with you

I do agree with you, but aren't majority of the celebrities out there over-rated anyway?

Tbh, there isn't really an extremely popular black female figure in the media so I think that's why Beyoncé is so hyped up. There aren't many others (that many people know off the top of their tongue) to represent black women. That's probably why.
tbh the last decent chanteuse was Joni Mitchell :flute:
You cant overhype or overrate a goddess.
Her name is on most of the writing credits, so she's obviously had some input on her lyrics. Her stage presence is almost unrivaled in the music industry, and her touring demand is incredibly high. She has been public about her activism dating back to 2002 where she talked about being "female black and young" as a barrier to making it into the industry. Her songs 'Survivor' and 'Independent Women' both have feminist readings, released yeeaars ago. Don't see how shes overrated.
Reply 11
isn't taylor swift overrated too?
Mumsnet music.

Quick Reply

Latest