Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career in Charities/NGOs - Will politics help or hinder my employability? Watch

ReputationRep:
    • I would like to work for a charity/NGO using my linguistic; design and marketing skills (I have been learning all these skills in my free time). My key passion in life is politics and I want to take this at uni as I feel I would excel the most in it. I am worried in today’s climate that it won’t help me to get a job afterwards and maybe I should stick to languages or marketing or graphic design. I have an A at A-level in German and French; and am self-teaching myself graphics from books having purchased Creative Cloud and will try to build a portfolio. If I can get marketing internships in my uni holidays, do you think it would be OK for me to study politics or am I jeopardizing my future? (I don’t have wealthy parents so it wouldn’t be possible to have unpaid internships etc to gain experience once graduated - I'd have to go straight into work).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    • I would like to work for a charity/NGO using my linguistic; design and marketing skills (I have been learning all these skills in my free time). My key passion in life is politics and I want to take this at uni as I feel I would excel the most in it. I am worried in today’s climate that it won’t help me to get a job afterwards and maybe I should stick to languages or marketing or graphic design. I have an A at A-level in German and French; and am self-teaching myself graphics from books having purchased Creative Cloud and will try to build a portfolio. If I can get marketing internships in my uni holidays, do you think it would be OK for me to study politics or am I jeopardizing my future? (I don’t have wealthy parents so it wouldn’t be possible to have unpaid internships etc to gain experience once graduated - I'd have to go straight into work).
    None of the degrees you've listed will give you an advantage over the other if that makes sense, so go with the one you would enjoy the most. What matters more is the all round package you offer- having work experience, soft & hard skills and being able to put togeth a good application. It's also worth looking at the profiles of staff at the kinds of organisations you are interested in working for & seeing what their marketing staff might have done.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply and the great tip on looking at marketing staff resumes in companies I wish to work for.

The problem is that most of the marketing jobs (albeit the generic ones, not necessarily the ones I want) I view online state a degree in marketing, but I guess that's not the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    Interdisciplinary skills should make you more valuable, if anything. If you understand policy and government, and are able to communicate and promote issues effectively, that's something that charities and NGOs - particularly the smaller ones - would want to take advantage of, in my experience. Just having someone technically adept can make a difference. For some reason, there are plenty of recently-graduated bag carriers who just have no idea when it comes to IT and digital tools.

If anything is a potential threat, it's the nature of your political interests. Generally, you'll be fine if you don't diverge too far from the groupthink.

The easiest way forward that I can think of for you is to find a local charity, CIC or NGO, volunteer with them and discuss what you might be able to work on that can build you a portfolio of campaign work and develop your experience of researching and formulating policy. In this respect, if design more broadly is an interest area, you might want to find out more about design thinking and how that can be applied in a campaign or project.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.