Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So for some reason the SLC has sent me a letter saying I will recieve £2755 as a maintenance loan in a few days.

What is wierd about this is that it is for the 2010/11 year of my university course that I graduated from 5 years ago.

The letter is dated 5th May 2016.

WTF?

Has anyone else had this? At first I thought identity theft because I am not at Uni...but the date of the course and the course programme etc is all correct, as well as my sort code and bank etc. I really don't want to ring them up I was hoping they would forget about me so I don't have to pay them (what everyone else does and suggests).

Very wierd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmileyone69)
    So for some reason the SLC has sent me a letter saying I will recieve £2755 as a maintenance loan in a few days.

What is wierd about this is that it is for the 2010/11 year of my university course that I graduated from 5 years ago.

The letter is dated 5th May 2016.

WTF?

Has anyone else had this? At first I thought identity theft because I am not at Uni...but the date of the course and the course programme etc is all correct, as well as my sort code and bank etc. I really don't want to ring them up I was hoping they would forget about me so I don't have to pay them (what everyone else does and suggests).

Very wierd.
    Bottom line is that only SF will be able to tell you what's going on. If you want to find out then you have to contact them. In any case, it sounds pretty unlikely to me. Is there any way it could be a scam which is trying to get you to verify your bank account details, or give access to your account? Does the letter ask you to do anything?

Trying to avoid repaying SF if you're over the earnings threshold is a long-term fraud - you'd have to work hard to keep that up for your entire working life if you're in the UK. It means avoiding paying tax your entire life (tax records are cross-referenced with SF) which in turn means you don't pay National Insurance - so no entitlement to benefits and no state pension. Given how low the SF repayments are, it's probably going to end up costing you much more in state funding entitlements, than you save over the course of the SF debt.

ReputationRep:
    Well I pay myself the basic rate and then dividends on top.

It isn't that I don't want to pay them back...it is more I don't want to pay them back right now.

The repayments get quite big if you start making a lot of money on PAYE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmileyone69)
    Well I pay myself the basic rate and then dividends on top.

It isn't that I don't want to pay them back...it is more I don't want to pay them back right now.

The repayments get quite big if you start making a lot of money on PAYE.
    Yeah I see what you mean, but if you earn a lot, it follows that you can afford to pay more.

As long as you're earning beneath the repayment threshold (on paper at least!) then there should be no problem contacting SF to ask what's going on. I fill in a tax return each year and it's cross-checked with SF - whatever you've declared to HMRC, SF will already know anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.