Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to do about my family Watch

    • Thread Starter

    They're so cruel to me and I don't have enough money to leave them. I'm going to uni in September but I don't think I'll last until then because they make me want to die.

    My grandmother says horrible things to me constantly and when I call her out on it she says things like 'Im too sensitive' or 'Im not tough enough' and its stupid because I'm not too sensitive . I've always been stronger and more independent than they've ever been because I've had to be. I remember when I was raped and she told me to 'get over it'.

    I honestly don't know what to do because she's stolen my university accommodation deposit and when I get angry at her about it she says 'I need mental help.' Even though she admits to me and everyone else she took it out my account!!!! I want to move out but she takes my paychecks each month and I feel so isolated because I have no money to see my friends.

    I just don't know what to do anymore. Have any of you had trouble like this? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

    I'm sorry this is happening
    Sadly all i can suggest is staying out of the house as much as you can. Of course the ideal would be to talk to them but you said that doesn't work... Maybe study at the library/go round a friends and spend minimal amount of time home? You mentioned your grandmother, but is there any one else in your family you could talk to? Someone supportive etc...

    I am very sorry that you are having to endure this. The family dynamic can be so frustrating and they are the ones that are supposed to be there and love you and cheer for you in life and sadly it's not always that way.

    How does she 'take your paycheck'? Is she literally stealing it or is she having you pay for rent, food etc. Do you think she is practicing some form of 'tough love'? Anyway, I do agree with her in one respect.... you do need mental help. Please hear me out..... I don't think, given the situation you've described, that you have done anything wrong or are mentally sick but you do need mental support. A good counselor will give you much better supportive advice than we could ever give you. Your grandmother is causing you heart-ache and you need someone emotionally on your side that you can safely share your experiences with. If you have been raped and haven't been emotionally supported by a loving family in the aftermath please, please, seek counseling. You will feel so much better.

    You said your grandmother stole you university accommodation money? Will you be able to live at your university or will you still be living at home. Well, hopefully, you'll be living at your university and the time will pass faster than you think. Definitely try to spend more time with your friends away from your home. Tell a trusted friend what is happening and hopefully they will plan some more activities to take place at their home since you can't afford to go out.

    Please try to find counseling to help you find a healthy way to deal with all of this but if that can't happen share with someone
    .who can be trusted and supportive. You don't mention parents? Do they live with you as well? I hope they're supportive of you. Best of luck to you.
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.