Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

art mess up watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I go to a dodgy sixth form, well it's two neighbouring schools which have joined their sixth form together for about two years for the student's 'benefit'. I do art a-level, and at my original school, it's quite restricted and controlled, whereas at the other place, it's slightly 'relaxed'. Anyways the examiner came in yesterday to view our work, and I went to see my school's art teacher today, and the news was really bad. According to my teacher, one of A2's student did a dissertation which would have gained a pretty low grade but was given an 'A' by a teacher from the neighbouring school, and because of this the examiner obviously put that grade down, and all the other whole A-level grades have to be lowered too.
    My teacher had already made it aware that the other school did not play to the rules and had suspected that they had been changing grades around, as last year she gave a student a D in her unit, but she came out with an A at A-level, which is impossible, with the D (a third of AS). I am really worried about my AS grade now, and it will look really bad against with my other better grades, since I may be thinking of applying for an Architecture course at a uni who are wanting BBB's or better.
    Our teacher is telling us that we should prepare to either request a remark which costs a £100 or resubmit the work (which school will pay for), I don't know if anyone has been a situation where they have had to re-submit their work or ask for a remark. If I re-submit would it mean re-doing the AS exam?:'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetymango)
    last year she gave a student a D in her unit, but she came out with an A at A-level, which is impossible,
    ~Not impossible - A module is a sixth of the alevel not a third. I got 55/100 in one of my philosophy module and still got 238/300 (2 marks off an A) in the AS.

MB

ReputationRep:
    please, i don't really want to have a debate about whether it was possible, i may have remember the grade wrong, or maybe it a low d but anyway the art teacher did her calculations, and obviously in art there is a standard. She showed us the work that the supposed grade 'A' was, it was a dissertation, and all she had was sheets printed off internet, with the web address at the bottom, page numbers at top etc, the odd drawing, it clearly wasn't the grade A, presentation wise, and true research...
    For one thing, i DO know that they don't play to the rules...but can't say what for x reasons.

i'm more after advice :'(

by the way anyone, if you reject the grade u don't need to declare it, but do u still say u studies it or what?

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh by the way i said a module is a third of AS ADVANCED SUBSIDARY

ReputationRep:
    At my friend's school, he was predicted a high A at AS-level, and then when the moderator came, the whole year got U's for some reason!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_love_maths)
    At my friend's school, he was predicted a high A at AS-level, and then when the moderator came, the whole year got U's for some reason!!
    Oh poo.. that's just weird!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_love_maths)
    and that was that, or did they manage to get a remark or something?

ReputationRep:
    That's really odd :confused: There's only about 10 people in my art class, so everybody's work get moderated individually, which I think is much more fair.

ReputationRep:
    yes i think that should happen too.
    But it's like, if the examiner disagreed with a grade and thought it should be higher, they will solely move that one up but not others?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.