The Student Room Group

Do you believe in Aliens?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. It's a certainty. It's the most certain we can ever be of something without actually having proof.

This is really the picture that brought it home for me: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Earth's_Location_in_the_Universe_SMALLER_(JPEG).jpg

Oh, and by the way- that picture only involves one Universe. If physicists are to be believed, there is literally an infinite number of Universes.
(edited 7 years ago)
[video="youtube;3twCIdXmSP4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3twCIdXmSP4[/video]

This is a good video, Numerous people share there experiences of UFO's over nuclear military bases in USA and UK
If the universe is infinite, then it is impossible for there not to be.
Original post by theBranicAc
God is not alien, he is something which you could't understand

God has his reason for things which humans are to stupid to understand. In dosen't matter how many planets he makes, he might of made them because it looked nice, but he could of only wanted live on only one plannet.

*too
This year we have found more planets that have the capability of sustaining life than any other year. The nearest one is only 11 light years away (considering the size of the universe, its like finding your doppelganger living on the same street as you)

I think it would be naive to think there isnt Alien life forms
There are billions of trillions of planets in the universe why should we assume we are the only life?
I agree with @GalifreyGirl but there are probably more planets than that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Melancholy
Do you reckon they'd have willies though? Like chimpanzees?
I'm sure almost all life in the universe would have to have some kind of waste Disposal system Organ
Believing in aliens requires a certain level of faith in assuming the unknown. Until evidence is provided of their existence, I will not believe in them, regardless of probability.
After watching all the seasons of the X files, yeah I do. Ive got so used to the idea that I believe it could be true
Original post by M14B
100%
In my opinion
Life, less advanced than that on Earth, exists as well as life more advanced than that on Earth also exists

Yup, that just about covers it.
Original post by Plagioclase
If by aliens you mean sentient life, I went to a very persuasive talk that argued it's extremely unlikely there's sentient life in our Galaxy (the argument basically being that if sentient life were to exist, it would be incomparably advanced in comparison to humans and there are good arguments as to why this means we'd probably already know of their existence). So for practical purposes, probably not.

There's the Fermi Paradox.

But also it's worth noting that universe >>> galaxy.
Original post by jneill
There's the Fermi Paradox.

But also it's worth noting that universe >>> galaxy.

It is indeed an interpretation of the Fermi Paradox. But the point of this speaker (Dr Stuart Armstrong if I remember correctly) is that it's likely that, for all practical purposes, any sentient life is probably beyond the reaches of humanity because if sentient life could have reached us, it already would have.

Given that he believes it will eventually be possible for a sentient species to expand at close to the speed of light, this could be interpreted as it being unlikely that there's long-lived sentient life in the observable universe (of course this is based on a lot of assumptions, mainly that sentient species will always want to expand as fast as possible, but I was convinced by his explanations as to why it's likely this would be the case). Which has all sorts of scary implications on where the great filter/s are.
It is indeed an interpretation of the Fermi Paradox. But the point of this speaker (Dr Stuart Armstrong if I remember correctly) is that it's likely that, for all practical purposes, any sentient life is probably beyond the reaches of humanity because if sentient life could have reached us, it already would have.

Given that he believes it will eventually be possible for a sentient species to expand at close to the speed of light, this could be interpreted as it being unlikely that there's long-lived sentient life in the observable universe (of course this is based on a lot of assumptions, mainly that sentient species will always want to expand as fast as possible, but I was convinced by his explanations as to why it's likely this would be the case). Which has all sorts of scary implications on where the great filter/s are.

Edit to add: cool I'll check him out
http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/people/400

I think the "Space is big. Really big." comment still applies. And it also assumes they would want to contact us (and we would understand that contact) in the infinitesimally small timescale that we've been properly sentient ourselves.

Oh hold on, there's someone knocking at my door. BRB...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

I think the "Space is big. Really big." comment still applies. And it also assumes they would want to contact us (and we would understand that contact) in the infinitesimally small timescale that we've been properly sentient ourselves.
Posted from TSR Mobile

He argues that regardless of whether or not they want to contact us, there should be a very distinctive fingerprint made by any advanced species expanding across the galaxy. Specifically, they would need vast energy and material supplies so Armstrong said that we should expect structures like Dyson Spheres (which we apparently would be capable of observing) to be ubiquitous.

Another interesting point that he mentioned was that there's a very good chance any advanced biological species would have been replaced by an artificial intelligence so if anything, we should be looking for AIs rather than sentient biological life.
(edited 7 years ago)
He argues that regardless of whether or not they want to contact us, there should be a very distinctive fingerprint made by any advanced species expanding across the galaxy. Specifically, they would need vast energy and material supplies so Armstrong said that we should expect structures like Dyson Spheres (which we apparently would be capable of observing) to be ubiquitous.

Another interesting point that he mentioned was that there's a very good chance any advanced biological species would have been replaced by an artificial intelligence so if anything, we should be looking for AIs rather than sentient biological life.

Now that I can certainly buy into.
Original post by jneill
Now that I can certainly buy into.

Last part of this video summarises the argument I made earlier:

[video]https://youtu.be/VBvOEUj_fUU?t=12m20s[/video]
Last part of this video summarises the argument I made earlier:

[video]https://youtu.be/VBvOEUj_fUU?t=12m20s[/video]

We'd better get building then! :smile:
Original post by RobML
No it's not. For example, a pyramid is one of the easiest forms in which to build a large, tall structure. The laws of physics are the same whether you are in the world...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not strictly true. There's exotic matter that defies physics yet we acknowledge the possible existence of. And then there's the multiverse theory which says that in a different pocket of the universe, the laws of physics are completely different to ours.
Reply 119
Original post by AmazingArry
That's not strictly true. There's exotic matter that defies physics yet we acknowledge the possible existence of. And then there's the multiverse theory which says that in a different pocket of the universe, the laws of physics are completely different to ours.

"In the world" :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest