Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  519.5 KBHi guys, I'm really stuck on this question.

I solved a) by writing an equation for the displacement of the helicopter defined by t, added to the original postion vector at the light house.

For b), I know I have to create two equations using the components of the expression above and solve for a value of t, I just don't understand why am I equating the position vector of the helicopter above to that of the rock? Surely the helicopter is in the air & it's height never changes. Hence it can only have the same x component as the rock's position vector? :/

ReputationRep:
    y component does not correlate to height.

The best way to think of it is to imagine a compass. Say North is y and East is x, thus South correlates to -y and West is -x.

So if the helicopter is directly above the rock, it will share the same coordinates. (x, y) Essentially x = i, y = j

If you walked towards the rock and stood on it, you would be standing on the same coordinates as the helicopter. You're concerned about the position from the origin, not the vertical height from the ground. You're given that the helicopter is at a constant height above sea level so you're not concerned about it.

Don't turn a 2D problem into a 3D problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBBQ)
    y component does not correlate to height.

The best way to think of it is to imagine a compass. Say North is y and East is x, thus South correlates to -y and West is -x.

So if the helicopter is directly above the rock, it will share the same coordinates. (x, y) Essentially x = i, y = j

If you walked towards the rock and stood on it, you would be standing on the same coordinates as the helicopter. You're concerned about the position from the origin, not the vertical height from the ground. You're given that the helicopter is at a constant height above sea level so you're not concerned about it.

Don't turn a 2D problem into a 3D problem

Thank you!
    Lol that's exactly what my teacher said to me today, I just didn't understand what she meant by it.

Is it better to think of a position vector a bit like a coordinate on a map - where exactly on the land the helicopter and a rock is irrelevant, but they are at same relative displacement northwards and eastwards (or south and west) from 0,0? Because this is what I'm have trouble understanding!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine)
    Thank you!
    Lol that's exactly what my teacher said to me today, I just didn't understand what she meant by it.

Is it better to think of a position vector a bit like a coordinate on a map - where exactly on the land the helicopter and a rock is irrelevant, but they are at same relative displacement northwards and eastwards (or south and west) from 0,0? Because this is what I'm have trouble understanding!!
    You're welcome
    Vectors can be a bit tricky at first but when you understand them, the questions become very simple.

Yes, exactly that. I could choose a completely different point to be the origin and thus the position vector would be different, the positions of the helicopter and rock would be the same relative to each other.

Imagine that I told you about a house 50m west from me, but you were 50m north of me. It doesn't change where exactly it is, but we would both require different directions to get there. I would have to walk west, but you would have to walk southwest, thus it would have a different position vector from each of our perspectives if we chose our starting points as the origin. But to a neighbour of that house, it would obviously not have a different position for him regardless of wherever we chose our origins.

It's all about relative distances, not absolutes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.