Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have a nexus 6p. The auto rotate feature had stopped working and therefore rang Google. They told me it must be a problem with the accelerometer and therefore will be covered with their warranty. So I arranged a replacement and now have the new phone and the auto rotate works. Happy days.

They then contact me when I sent my old phone back (I told them about a couple of small scratches on the metal on the edge which they said was fine because it was classed as wear and tear) saying that they're going to charge me 500 pounds for the phone because the phone that I'd sent has a damaged screen apparently. I sent it in almost perfect condition and have had it in a case/screen protector since I've got it. They're now refusing to take blame for this and are pinning it on me even though I have no clue about it.

What are my options? Can I fight my case or do I just have to accept the charge? They said they can send the phone back to me and I'll send this one back to them but I'm unsure as to what to do as I'm now 500 pounds out of pocket. HELP!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Dreamville_)
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I know the onus is on the consumer to ensure the device arrives back to the manufacturer in its intended condition- if it gets damaged during transit then it's not Google/Huawei's fault nor are they able to know whether it was pre-existing damage. If this is the case, unfortunately they're in the right asking for the money back.

How did you post it to them? If it was tracked/recorded/couriered etc and you can get confirmation that the package arrived damaged from Google/Huawei, then the company that dispatched it may have some policy making them liable for covering the cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    From what I know the onus is on the consumer to ensure the device arrives back to the manufacturer in its intended condition- if it gets damaged during transit then it's not Google/Huawei's fault nor are they able to know whether it was pre-existing damage. If this is the case, unfortunately they're in the right asking for the money back.

How did you post it to them? If it was tracked/recorded/couriered etc and you can get confirmation that the package arrived damaged from Google/Huawei, then the company that dispatched it may have some policy making them liable for covering the cost.
    Google provided all the shipping labels and things and it was tracked via UPS to Germany.
    The thing is, they're asking for 500 pounds (the cost of the handset they gave me) which I do not have. And even sending the phone back to me so I can see what actually happened isn't an option either apparently.

They also said that the outer packaging looked okay but the phone box inside was open with the phone laying outside the box (despite me taping it shut on all four corners). I've delivered many packages, some with phones in them, and that hasn't ever happened that tape somehow manages to unstick itself. Even then, they described the damage as being a cracked screen at the bottom with some glass missing. It just makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds like it could be an issue with the courier. I'd ask them to send the phone back, return your new phone and contact the courier to explain what has happened. Get them to reimburse you for the damage if possible. Of if you can get Google to send photos of the damage to your phone so that you can claim it off the courier that may work too.

But as mentioned it is the burden of the sender to make sure it is received in good condition. Even if you packaged it perfectly, Google can't take blame for a courier incident and they're in the right to ask for their money. Hopefully you'l be able to claim it from the courier company. Probably not worth any sort of small claims court case or anything. Unfortunately it may just be something that you have to live with. Whenever you send something you run the risk of things like this happening and unless you covered it with insurance you can't really do anything.

Since you mentioned Google provided shipping (thus I assume they paid) then maybe you claim negligence if they didn't insure the device. But then you need evidence that the device wasn't cracked when you sent it. At which point it becomes your word vs the courier. So really I doubt you'll get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Sounds like it could be an issue with the courier. I'd ask them to send the phone back, return your new phone and contact the courier to explain what has happened. Get them to reimburse you for the damage if possible. Of if you can get Google to send photos of the damage to your phone so that you can claim it off the courier that may work too.

But as mentioned it is the burden of the sender to make sure it is received in good condition. Even if you packaged it perfectly, Google can't take blame for a courier incident and they're in the right to ask for their money. Hopefully you'l be able to claim it from the courier company. Probably not worth any sort of small claims court case or anything. Unfortunately it may just be something that you have to live with. Whenever you send something you run the risk of things like this happening and unless you covered it with insurance you can't really do anything.

Since you mentioned Google provided shipping (thus I assume they paid) then maybe you claim negligence if they didn't insure the device. But then you need evidence that the device wasn't cracked when you sent it. At which point it becomes your word vs the courier. So really I doubt you'll get anywhere.
    Thanks for the response. So my best bet would be to try to see if the courier will take the blame for it as it seems to be their fault, and if not, I just take back the damaged phone and pay for repairs myself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for the response. So my best bet would be to try to see if the courier will take the blame for it as it seems to be their fault, and if not, I just take back the damaged phone and pay for repairs myself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's an option. The issue is whether the courier will do anything about it. Especially if you didn't actually pay any of the charges. They may not do anything for you and want to speak to Google directly.

Getting your phone back first though is important so that you have photographic evidence to give to the courier. Providing everything else is fine with it it's likely it'll be cheaper to get a replacement screen instead of paying for a new phone from Google.

As a general rule of thumb if you ever have to send stuff via courier make sure you have photographic evidence of the condition. Stuff like eBay is alright for this since photos are in your listings but for a situation like this where you have no evidence what condition the phone is in it's basically your word against theirs. And assuming the phone had to go overseas they may not take responsibility. They may blame the air shipping company (assume it went by aircraft).

Out of interest what courier was it? Just keep trying to escalate it with the courier company. Google won't help you because it wasn't their fault. Only people you might get something from is the courier, providing it was insured. If no insurance was provided then Google may reimburse you since it's their fault for not taking out insurance. Get your phone back, take photos and get in touch with the courier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    It's an option. The issue is whether the courier will do anything about it. Especially if you didn't actually pay any of the charges. They may not do anything for you and want to speak to Google directly.

Getting your phone back first though is important so that you have photographic evidence to give to the courier. Providing everything else is fine with it it's likely it'll be cheaper to get a replacement screen instead of paying for a new phone from Google.

As a general rule of thumb if you ever have to send stuff via courier make sure you have photographic evidence of the condition. Stuff like eBay is alright for this since photos are in your listings but for a situation like this where you have no evidence what condition the phone is in it's basically your word against theirs. And assuming the phone had to go overseas they may not take responsibility. They may blame the air shipping company (assume it went by aircraft).

Out of interest what courier was it? Just keep trying to escalate it with the courier company. Google won't help you because it wasn't their fault. Only people you might get something from is the courier, providing it was insured. If no insurance was provided then Google may reimburse you since it's their fault for not taking out insurance. Get your phone back, take photos and get in touch with the courier.
    Yeah I probably should have taken a picture but you never think something like this would happen at the time since I've not had a problem with it in the past. Lessons learnt definitely.

It was shipped through UPS. Not sure about whether insurance was taken out.

This is the information I received beforehand, does this mean they'll make me pay in any circumstances? -

After receiving your replacement, please return your item using the attached RMA within 14 calendar days.Your item and all applicable accessories must be returned in like-new condition.
    Google may deduct any loss in value of any items returned, if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah I probably should have taken a picture but you never think something like this would happen at the time since I've not had a problem with it in the past. Lessons learnt definitely.

It was shipped through UPS. Not sure about whether insurance was taken out.

This is the information I received beforehand, does this mean they'll make me pay in any circumstances? -

After receiving your replacement, please return your item using the attached RMA within 14 calendar days.Your item and all applicable accessories must be returned in like-new condition.
    Google may deduct any loss in value of any items returned, if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly it depends on how Google are feeling. If they believe it was a courier issue they may not charge you. If they think you're trying to lie to them they may just charge you anyway. Only people that can answer that is Google. As far as I'm concerned, damage by courier would not constitute unnecessary handling by you. But Google may just want their money.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.