Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would really appreciate some help.

I just got the message saying that I'm not eligible for Student Finance for a 4 year course. I had a feeling this would happen but I didn't want to think about it.

Here are the details:

My residence permit expires in 3 years, however my family is going to apply for a permanent residence next year. I'm not sure if I should appeal or not or just take a gap year.

I would prefer the gap year option but I'm already a year behind everyone else my age because I resat Year 12 so if I go through with this I will be 20 in my first year.

I also don't know how to inform my first choice uni about my ineligibility. When they find out, will they reject me? Would they allow a deferred entry?

I don't know what to do! Please help!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

All students will require Indefinite Leave to Remain at the beginning of their course, without this we cannot award funding. You can certainly follow the appeals process if you wish, although I would not recommend beginning the course without having a definitive answer.

It would be up to the uni to determine if your place could be deferred, so it may be best to call them directly.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
    Hi there.

All students will require Indefinite Leave to Remain at the beginning of their course, without this we cannot award funding. You can certainly follow the appeals process if you wish, although I would not recommend beginning the course without having a definitive answer.

It would be up to the uni to determine if your place could be deferred, so it may be best to call them directly.

Thanks.
    Hi, thank you for the response!

If I were to start the course this year, would I have to pay international fees upfront?

Do you think it would be wiser to reapply this year instead?

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

It would be up to the college/uni how they would deal with your fees. It would be best to speak to them.

If you start this year without having the correct residency status before the start of your course then we will not be able to offer you funding for any years of your course.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.