Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you allowed to record your doctor's visits? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My first post Sorry if this is the wrong place but I had a question and this forum popped up and I'm a student so I thought I'd ask on here.

So I had a doctor's visit for a reason I'm not going to share but basically I was wondering if it was possible to record the visit for reasons that again I don't want to go in to. I've got the appointment tomorrow and I didn't want to do it without him knowing it's a check up but I'm not satisfied with his care and I wanted to to use the recording against him.

Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to say that the recording would be in video form.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you are in the UK you can record them without their consent. However i believe if you intent to use it in a court of law then they must be provided with a copy.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    Yes, if you are in the UK you can record them without their consent. However i believe if you intent to use it in a court of law then they must be provided with a copy.
    But you wouldn't be allowed to share it to, say, YouTube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bernie2016)
    Court is an option as frankly I feel the level of care I'm receiving is sub par.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kylie Jenner)
    My first post Sorry if this is the wrong place but I had a question and this forum popped up and I'm a student so I thought I'd ask on here.

So I had a doctor's visit for a reason I'm not going to share but basically I was wondering if it was possible to record the visit for reasons that again I don't want to go in to. I've got the appointment tomorrow and I didn't want to do it without him knowing it's a check up but I'm not satisfied with his care and I wanted to to use the recording against him.

Any help is appreciated.
    You have chosen not to give much information here, which I respect.

When you say you want to 'use the recording against him' I imagine you are preparing for a disciplinary complaint or lawsuit. Unless you have a good reason for not obtaining the doctor's consent, I find it hard to envisage a tribunal being sympathetic and, even if the recording is actually taken in evidence, less weight may be attached to it.

It comes off as sneaky or deceitful. Make sure you have a very good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davide_online)
    You have chosen not to give much information here, which I respect.

When you say you want to 'use the recording against him' I imagine you are preparing for a disciplinary complaint or lawsuit. Unless you have a good reason for not obtaining the doctor's consent, I find it hard to envisage a tribunal being sympathetic and, even if the recording is actually taken in evidence, less weight may be attached to it.

It comes off as sneaky or deceitful. Make sure you have a very good reason.
    I've done a bit of research and there seems to be a solid argument for recording your health care practitioners as a way to protect yourself should your health and safety breached due to poor healthcare giving on their part.

What do you think about that? Some people think that all doctors should be prepared to be recorded in the same way that telephone calls to your bank are recorded.

ReputationRep:
    Court is an option as frankly I feel the level of care I'm receiving is sub par.
    Receiving what you perceive to be sub par care isn't necessarily a criminal offense that would be of interest to the courts.

I presume you have been down appropriate avenues if you have concerns about the care you're receiving? I.e. the practice manager, PALS, etc?

ReputationRep:
    I've done a bit of research and there seems to be a solid argument for recording your health care practitioners as a way to protect yourself should your health and safety breached due to poor healthcare giving on their part.

What do you think about that? Some people think that all doctors should be prepared to be recorded in the same way that telephone calls to your bank are recorded.
    People differ in many ways & you should do what you feel is right. Good for you that you are researching and sounding opinions.

Mine is that legal proceedings are rarely 'protection'.

You protect yourself IMO by avoiding sources of threat to it.

Is there no practical alternative to receiving care from this practitioner?

Don't underestimate the difficulties of using a legal or disciplinary process.

I can see why some call for such recording, as you say, but IMO those in positions of power ie. judges and other adjudicators still tend to be quite conservative.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.