Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to a university in Korea, I still have a year left until that but how do I bring it up to my parents? Also I am currently learning the language. Also do you think it is a good idea to go somewhere so far from where I am (UK)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoyouEden?)
    I really want to go to a university in Korea, I still have a year left until that but how do I bring it up to my parents? Also I am currently learning the language. Also do you think it is a good idea to go somewhere so far from where I am (UK)
    A bit too far away and very different culture imo

ReputationRep:
    kim jong un will kill you fool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontudare)
    There is such a thing as South Korea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontudare)
    I doubt that very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    There is such a thing as South Korea.
    Never heard of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    A bit too far away and very different culture imo
    I suppose so but I have family in Japan and I am an Asian myself so I sort of understand their way of thinking

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so but I have family in Japan and I am an Asian myself so I sort of understand their way of thinking
    Then things are slightly different.
    I hope it works for you as it is not a bad idea after all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd make sure you visit beforehand to experience the culture as much as you can - see if it suits you. It's a good idea to endorse yourself as much as you can within it, and consider what life might be like there as a resident.

Perhaps look into whether international students are common within the universities you're considering. It's good to have a support network - especially if you don't have family over there; regardless of how independent you may be as an individual.

Once you're happy with whatever option route you may take - remember that this is your life and so only you can decide where you go with it. If your aspiration is to study in Korea, then so be it. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    many kpop fans or korean culture admirer dream of going to korea to live/study, it's not a bad idea. just prepare for the culture shock and the treatment towards foreigners vary - it's either very good or very bad. watch eatyourkimchi youtube channel, they've moved to japan now but their previous 500 videos were about their 7 years in korea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    many kpop fans or korean culture admirer dream of going to korea to live/study, it's not a bad idea. just prepare for the culture shock and the treatment towards foreigners vary - it's either very good or very bad. watch eatyourkimchi youtube channel, they've moved to japan now but their previous 500 videos were about their 7 years in korea
    Thank you I shall check their channel out and aha I have only started listening to Korean music to get myself used to it, if I do go to Korea and yeah I know that the treatment of foreigners varies but it's fine, I sort of understand their perspective in a way
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I shall check their channel out and aha I have only started listening to Korean music to get myself used to it, if I do go to Korea and yeah I know that the treatment of foreigners varies but it's fine, I sort of understand their perspective in a way
    asians are still very conservative and not very open yet to the whole idea of multi culturalism :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    asians are still very conservative and not very open yet to the whole idea of multi culturalism :s
    I'm Asian too aha and yeah I know they are not very open to multiculturalism

ReputationRep:
    There are actually a lot of vlogs of people doing a year abroad in korea and stuff, might wanna check those out,

ReputationRep:
    If you do a degree in Korea you'd pay International fees - with no help from Student Finance.

If you do a UK degree with a Study Abroad in Korea a) its easier, b) its cheaper.
    Examples : http://www.bradford.ac.uk/internatio...nal-exchanges/ AND http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bakor/

Or you could do a Summer Course in Korea : http://www.hufs.ac.kr/eng/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If you do a degree in Korea you'd pay International fees - with no help from Student Finance.

If you do a UK degree with a Study Abroad in Korea a) its easier, b) its cheaper.
    Examples : http://www.bradford.ac.uk/internatio...nal-exchanges/ AND http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bakor/

Or you could do a Summer Course in Korea : http://www.hufs.ac.kr/eng/
    Yeah that's true actually but I would like to move to Korea one day anyways

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.