Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically next Wednesday I have my first history exam. Three weeks ago one of history teachers got pneumonia and hasn't been since (doesn't like he'll be in before next week). Its an AS exam with WJEC and I know we have to do two 30 mark essay's in 1hr 45min. Can anybody suggest how much I should write on each question in terms of quantity. thanks

ReputationRep:
    im also studying AS history although through the CCEA exam board, eh, i would say roughly write about 2 and a half pages minimum per question although depending on how good your quality and contextual information is its more quality over quantity!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If they are worth equal marks then common sense says equal time.

I would do
    5 mins to read paper

So thats 50 mins an essay. Id spend 5-10 mins planning. So that would be 35-40 mins writing the essay and if you have 5 mins to check.
    Same for the other. You need to keep checking progress v time to make sure you maintain the correct pace.
    You write as much as you need to within that time frame. thats why practice makes perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wjrichards99)
    So basically next Wednesday I have my first history exam. Three weeks ago one of history teachers got pneumonia and hasn't been since (doesn't like he'll be in before next week). Its an AS exam with WJEC and I know we have to do two 30 mark essay's in 1hr 45min. Can anybody suggest how much I should write on each question in terms of quantity. thanks
    Well you should write your introduction then about 3/4 paragraph points on either side of your argument and then your conclusion. That probably makes up about 4 sides of A4 paper

ReputationRep:
    another thing, why was this posted in the Gov. and politics section? would the history section not be more adequate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connormc199)
    another thing, why was this posted in the Gov. and politics section? would the history section not be more adequate?
    It was posted in the A-level section. I think you are getting confused because my name is Govt. and Politics, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by govtandpolitics)
    It was posted in the A-level section. I think you are getting confused because my name is Govt. and Politics, maybe?
    my apologies! yeah I mistook your name for the thread location

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connormc199)
    my apologies! yeah I mistook your name for the thread location
    Haha it's okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If they are worth equal marks then common sense says equal time.

I would do
    5 mins to read paper

So thats 50 mins an essay. Id spend 5-10 mins planning. So that would be 35-40 mins writing the essay and if you have 5 mins to check.
    Same for the other. You need to keep checking progress v time to make sure you maintain the correct pace.
    You write as much as you need to within that time frame. thats why practice makes perfect.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the advice! i tried to stick to it, but it turned out it was 1hr and 30mins which wasn't enough for me at all !!! it was a nice paper today but i'm not very confident

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.