How important is English Literature?

Watch
z.amin
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have my 2 literature exams in 2 weeks but haven't done any revision for them.

Are the literature exams really all that important though?

From my current understanding, it is actually English Language that is important whereas literature isn't a huge deal. Am I correct in thinking this?
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by z.amin)
I have my 2 literature exams next week but haven't done any revision for them.

From my current understanding, it is actually English Language that is important whilst literature isn't a huge deal. Am I correct in thinking this?
Language is important to progress. Literature is more highly regarded. In many schools, including mine, you can only do literature if you're capable enough. Just revise - stop being silly. Give up time and work your backside off, then feel free to do absolutely nothing over Summer.
kab99
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Technically speaking, yeah language is the one you'd need to go into sixth forms/uni/etc. Literature is like taking an option in a way
CierraBelle
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Well to be honest, I feel like English lit is more respected than English lang and if you do have the intentions of further studying an essay-based subject, it's in your best interest to do some revision for your exams.
But your right, you don't need to pass English lit whereas you need a C for English lang

(Original post by z.amin)
I have my 2 literature exams in 2 weeks but haven't done any revision for them.

From my current understanding, it is actually English Language that is important whereas literature isn't a huge deal. Am I correct in thinking this?
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
yes language is what you need to prove you can survive and work in an english speaking country. Lit is like other essay subjects, like history, geography, RE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads