Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At the minute I have a full time job in the IT industry after doing a degree in CS, however I don't have the same passion I had for IT and find it rather dull sitting in front of a screen for 8 hours a day. I have always had an interest in engineering and have decided to take the plunge and change career paths.

Currently I plan on self studying A levels in Physics and Maths, and applying for a mechanical engineering or similar higher level apprenticeship.

How difficult would it be to get an apprenticeship in engineering at 24?
    Is the above approach the best way to tackle this or is there a better way?
    Any advice would be welcome on how to approach this change in direction.
    My main concern is finding an employer willing to take on someone my age with the funding scheme the government has in place regarding apprenticeships.

ReputationRep:
    I started with JLR at 24, with Maths, FM, Physics, and Chemistry A -Levels from when I was 18.
    Bigger companies rely less on funding, so if you apply for a bigger company, you're more likely to be accepted.
    If you have finished your degree, that may be the only thing that will hold you back (although you could apply for an advanced apprenticeship which is a lower level, more hands on, but still a good course) or just don't declare it.
    What qualifications do you already have?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'll make sure to take a look at the bigger companies.
    Out of curiosity, why would having a hold me back? does it affect funding in some way?
    Currently I have a degree in Computer science, A-levels in IT (double award) and Business, and the usual GCSE's achieving at least a C or above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poperoni)
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'll make sure to take a look at the bigger companies.
    Out of curiosity, why would having a hold me back? does it affect funding in some way?
    Currently I have a degree in Computer science, A-levels in IT (double award) and Business, and the usual GCSE's achieving at least a C or above
    Yeah, I would guess it's because of the funding thing.
    Most ask for A-Level Maths, and a science or technology based A Level (I think IT should be fine)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.