Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When dichromate ions (VI) ions, Cr2O7 2- , react with iron (II) ions in acidic solution, the products are chromium (III) ions and iron (III) ions. In what ratio do the dichromate (VI) ions and the iron (II) ions react?

A 1:6
    B 1:5
    C 2:5
    D 1:3

I initially thought this would be a simple question, maybe I'm missing something?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Make half eqns for each reaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corpeal)
    Make half eqns for each reaction
    Hey! What I've done is written the ionic equation fully and it comes out at a 1:1 ratio? I have written as follows:

Cr2O7 2- + Fe2+ + 14H+ + 5e- GOING TO 2Cr3+ + Fe3+ + 7H2O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueangel328)
    Hey! What I've done is written the ionic equation fully and it comes out at a 1:1 ratio? I have written as follows:

Cr2O7 2- + Fe2+ + 14H+ + 5e- GOING TO 2Cr3+ + Fe3+ + 7H2O

The full ionic equation must not contain electrons. One of the half equations must be multiplied by a number so that when they are combined, the electrons cancel. I.e. same number of electrons in the reactants and products

ReputationRep:
    The full ionic equation must not contain electrons. One of the half equations must be multiplied by a number so that when they are combined, the electrons cancel. I.e. same number of electrons in the reactants and products
    OMGGGG how did I miss that???! THANK YOUUUU so much, it's been a long day for me I'm so nervous for this exam as well

ReputationRep:
    OMGGGG how did I miss that???! THANK YOUUUU so much, it's been a long day for me I'm so nervous for this exam as well
    Haha no problem! Good luck with the upcoming exam.

ReputationRep:
    Haha no problem! Good luck with the upcoming exam.
    Thanks Good luck to you too in any exams you're taking!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    When dichromate ions (VI) ions, Cr2O7 2- , react with iron (II) ions in acidic solution, the products are chromium (III) ions and iron (III) ions. In what ratio do the dichromate (VI) ions and the iron (II) ions react?

A 1:6
    B 1:5
    C 2:5
    D 1:3

I initially thought this would be a simple question, maybe I'm missing something?
    Thanks in advance!
    These are the half equations:

Cr2O72- + 14H+ + 6e --> 2Cr3+ + 7H2O

Fe2+ --> Fe3+ + 1e

Now can you see the ratio in which they have to react?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    These are the half equations:

Cr2O72- + 14H+ + 6e --> 2Cr3+ + 7H2O

Fe2+ --> Fe3+ + 1e

Now can you see the ratio in which they have to react?
    YES! I get it now thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.