The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I seem to remember that there was going to be a cambridge college admissions team doing a thread before results day, regarding questions offer holders have about the whole process - anyone know any more info than I? Dates etc?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I seem to remember that there was going to be a cambridge college admissions team doing a thread before results day, regarding questions offer holders have about the whole process - anyone know any more info than I? Dates etc?

Yes @Peterhouse Admissions said they would be hosting one "in August". I imagine it will be sometime close to Results Day.
Original post by jneill
Yes @Peterhouse Admissions said they would be hosting one "in August". I imagine it will be sometime close to Results Day.

Ah, I knew someone would know what I was talking about, thank you very much :biggrin:
Original post by Insight314
Am I the only one who is actually not stressing about results day? I will probably be *****ing bricks on the day, but ever since my last exam I haven't thought about results day that much.

Wait until the last couple days and the results day thread starts to get a wee bit more popular. Jokes aside, it's good that you're not stressing out over something you can't change :smile:
Original post by EnglishMuon
I agree that'd be fairer for everyone. My school didnt know too much but when i had a mock interview at another school they had files of documented interviews almost word for word.

Yes let's please. My school for instance offered no help at all, because I'm the first guy in their history to apply for maths at Cam, so no one had any clue what the interview was like
Reply 1625
What did people do extra reading on for maths. I've done a bit of the olypmiad stuff but would that count
Original post by 11234
What did people do extra reading on for maths. I've done a bit of the olypmiad stuff but would that count

Yeh I did olympiad stuff(quite a few hough) and abit on Basel problem and that is it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1627
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh I did olympiad stuff(quite a few hough) and abit on Basel problem and that is it lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what level would you say you were then bmo2? or bmo1?
Original post by 11234
what level would you say you were then bmo2? or bmo1?

Bmo2 both years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1629
Bmo2 both years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What mark did you get in L6.
Original post by 11234
What mark did you get in L6.

6 in bmo2 and 40 in BMO1 that was the 2013/14 set. Then yr 13 i didnt do any papers then on my gap year (this year) did BMO1 and 2 got 30 ish in BMO1 and 20 in round 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1631
6 in bmo2 and 40 in BMO1 that was the 2013/14 set. Then yr 13 i didnt do any papers then on my gap year (this year) did BMO1 and 2 got 30 ish in BMO1 and 20 in round 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you explain excircles and the similtude stuff I just dont understand when to use them and their properties
Original post by 11234
Could you explain excircles and the similtude stuff I just dont understand when to use them and their properties

Sure i recall this question which uses excircles in bmo2, other then that question i dnt remember questions which use either of those in the intended method. I will try find the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I am srry for interupting your conversation!

I am writing my PS right now! Where am I supposed to list my super curricular achievements !? Are my teachers supposed to do that in their reference letter or am I supposed to mention them in my PS? There is no way that I'll be able to do that in 47 lines ?! :frown:
Original post by BioOx

I am writing my PS right now! Where am I supposed to list my super curricular achievements !? Are my teachers supposed to do that in their reference letter or am I supposed to mention them in my PS? There is no way that I'll be able to do that in 47 lines ?! :frown:

How many do you have?! Even if you have a lot, they should only just fill your PS. But if you need to, it should be fine to ask your teachers to put some in your reference (preferably school-related ones like maths competitions).
Original post by sweeneyrod
How many do you have?! Even if you have a lot, they should only just fill your PS. But if you need to, it should be fine to ask your teachers to put some in your reference (preferably school-related ones like maths competitions).

Here is the thing, I am applying to Oxford for Biological sciences (that does not make me ur enemy? xD )
I have won competitions in geo/physics/bio and I wanted to emphasize how perplexed sciences are and why did biology especially appeal to me. Then I wanted to mention books that I have read and how did I get aspired ....Furthermore I wanted to refer to international summer schools that I have gone to... Additionally I wanted to allude to my distinctions and honors in my high school since it shows determination and perseverance . I wanted to mention my programming abilities related to bioinformatics and that I am an administrator on a chemistry website............aaaaaaaaaaaand I wanted to explain what triggered me the most (endagered species) etc.
I am going to skip smth since I do not want to seem egoistic or arrogant but I want to express my passion for my career choice

i just do not want to list stuff because it would seem mehh...

By the way I do not have sooooo many achievements as you can see.. I am really strugglin' to fit 'em in 700 words tbh

P.S. I read the last sentence in an Alabama accent. It is so funny
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BioOx

Two things:

1. It's Oxford, don't worry about it; easy to get into that, nothing compared to the real thing.

2. More seriously, sounds like you have trouble with expressing yourself concisely, you should be able to fit that in easily if you use your sentences and words wisely; remember that it's also a lot better to focus on stuff and explain their effects and stuff rather than list down a bunch of stuff in passing. I'd rather somebody who talked mainly about them administrating a chemistry account and detailing what they learnt and how they grew from that experience, what knowledge and experience they gained, etc... rather than someone list a bunch of stupid books like every other applicant along with a list of achievements that don't carry much weight without having explained what those achievements did for you. So what if you went to an international school for whatever, any old chump can do that and write about it, how did that influence you? What did you learn? Mentioning your programming abilities? Again, any old chump. Explain what you used them for, why you learnt them, how you applied yourself, motivation, etc...

For emphasis: Be. Concise.
Original post by BioOx

I only skimmed through your long post but I'd say make your referee write about your prizes. I won physics FM and EPQ prizes and UKMT best in school but I didn't mention it at all in my ps and they went to my reference. My contribution to school life also went to reference a little bit.

My PS was completely free of "bragging" of my achievements and it entirely focused on what about physics/chemistry excites me and why I want to study the course. It's better to develop (I don't mean waffle, be concise but develop) and convey a point than simply listing your achievements. Also accept that sometimes what seems important to you arent actually important from AT perspective etc. Gl with your application even if you're going for the other place :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BioOx
x

I applied for bio natsci/biochem, I can send you mine to read if you want :smile:
Original post by Serine Soul
I applied for bio natsci/biochem, I can send you mine to read if you want :smile:

YASSS

Latest

Trending

Trending