Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can an employer refuse to hire me because I'm a school pupil Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm 17 and live in Scotland. The local sainsburys store have a policy that means they don't hire school pupils, even those over 16.

But...

They will hire college students who are 16+

I'm not sure whether companies can actually refuse to hire a school pupil based solely on the fact they are in school. I understand if the shifts on offers are unsuitable with the school timetable but often Saturday hours are advertised and still I can't apply because I'm a school pupil.

If I'm over 16 then surely I have as much right as the college students to be considered

ReputationRep:
    They dont hire school pupils but do hire college students. Arent they the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalazarSlytherin)
    They dont hire school pupils but do hire college students. Arent they the same thing?
    Essentially yes, just doing different qualifications. Those studying highers and advanced highers are in school whereas those doing SVQs like childcare and joinery etc go to the college.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Pinkisunoriginal)
    Yes, they can. They can't discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, faith, marital status, race etc - legally defined 'protected characteristics'. They aren't discriminating on age, but schooling, and that's legal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Pinkisunoriginal)
    Okay so I'm 17 and live in Scotland. The local sainsburys store have a policy that means they don't hire school pupils, even those over 16.

But...

They will hire college students who are 16+

I'm not sure whether companies can actually refuse to hire a school pupil based solely on the fact they are in school. I understand if the shifts on offers are unsuitable with the school timetable but often Saturday hours are advertised and still I can't apply because I'm a school pupil.

If I'm over 16 then surely I have as much right as the college students to be considered
    Yes they can, if they want someone who will be able to cover shifts while you're at school they won't take you. However, if they only need someone to do weekend shifts you should still be in with a shot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.