Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hoping to move out next month with my girlfriend, how much do you need (renting) to be in a comfortable position when first moving out?

we have a few houses were interested in, in the range of 750-850 PCM, so roughly we'll pay 1600 pounds for rent and deposit, guessing agency fee is around 300, but what else? would 3-3.5k be good enough?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Bit of a difficult question to answer. Is where you're going to live furnished? I had to buy everything I needed, which set me back around £1300.

ReputationRep:
    yes, furniture can add up fast, obviously big items like fridge/bed/sofa cost a lot (you can save money getting stuff second hand but you may not want to do this with hwhite goods) but smaller things like curtains, toaster, a few pictures add up fast too, especially if you want the place to look nice

you may have a few small expenses to do with bills (e.g. you pay 3 months TV license at a time so that will be due immediately, internet connection code, my water is paid in advance every 6 months) but that shouldn't be huge, the biggest things will be rent/deposit/fees/furniture

ReputationRep:
    Joshale

You're best of making some sort of budget spread sheet like this:

http://i.imgur.com/UZVhxB0.png?1

Plug in your income and outgoing and see if you can afford the places you are looking at.

Do you know how much bills are going to be? If not find out. And again plug them into a budget sheet.

What furnishings do the places you are looking to rent come with? Will it come with everything? most things? bare basics? Or nothing at all? It'll obliviously be a lot cheaper initially to rent somewhere fully furnished. Because if you get somewhere not furnished and without white goods it can cost you thousands of pounds just for that.

You'll need to know exactly how much agency fees will be along with your deposit (which is usually around 2 months worth of rent) Plug all of these numbers into a budget as initial costs and see if it is viable or if it'll leave you in the red.

In short. 3.5k should be enough if you're renting a fully furnished place and a place with white goods, if not you'll struggle.

Also need to take into account buying things as the above user has said like kettle, toaster, plates, pans, bedding ect. These can all add up, but if you shop around can be done cheaply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Joshale

You're best of making some sort of budget spread sheet like this:

http://i.imgur.com/UZVhxB0.png?1

Plug in your income and outgoing and see if you can afford the places you are looking at.

Do you know how much bills are going to be? If not find out. And again plug them into a budget sheet.

What furnishings do the places you are looking to rent come with? Will it come with everything? most things? bare basics? Or nothing at all? It'll obliviously be a lot cheaper initially to rent somewhere fully furnished. Because if you get somewhere not furnished and without white goods it can cost you thousands of pounds just for that.

You'll need to know exactly how much agency fees will be along with your deposit (which is usually around 2 months worth of rent) Plug all of these numbers into a budget as initial costs and see if it is viable or if it'll leave you in the red.

In short. 3.5k should be enough if you're renting a fully furnished place and a place with white goods, if not you'll struggle.

Also need to take into account buying things as the above user has said like kettle, toaster, plates, pans, bedding ect. These can all add up, but if you shop around can be done cheaply.
    I wish more people did this before going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I wish more people did this before going to uni.
    ...me to.

The amount of people who don't put together a budget then go to uni and wonder why they are broke is too damn high.

I don't actually know anyone else who uses budget spread sheets. I always offer to help people make budgets, but they always shrug it off and complain they're broke 2 days later....so irritating.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Look in charity shops. I got some of my furniture there. Most of the stuff there is actually pretty decent.

In regards to white goods - there's a place near me which offers a 3 month warranty. But if you buy them brand new elsewhere, you get 12 months and they're only an extra £100 or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    hoping to move out next month with my girlfriend, how much do you need (renting) to be in a comfortable position when first moving out?

we have a few houses were interested in, in the range of 750-850 PCM, so roughly we'll pay 1600 pounds for rent and deposit, guessing agency fee is around 300, but what else? would 3-3.5k be good enough?
    should be you main cost you need to account for is furnishings and well look for community furniture projects and refurbishing stores for electronics
    you should pay £20-40% of retail even for high end stuff
    Spoiler:
    Show
    a friend managed to get a brand new washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and american fridge-freezer from their local project and paid £750 in total the whole lot was samsung branded and only donated down to discoloured cardboard the retail should have been £3300

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.