The Student Room Group

Fail on teaching component of PGCE - Need advice.

I received a fail after a panel meeting at my university for termination of my teacher training placement.I have been advised to make an appeal, i will do my best. But i will like advice about this situation. I really do not want to fail this component of the PGCE. If i fail this component, can i still gain the PGCE with my university and how? What is the best advice you can give me that is helpful. What happens next in the process and what are my best options. Thank you.
Reply 1
Surely you need to give some details otherwise it's pretty difficult to advice.

I only know of one classmate who is having interventions and may fail if they can't rectify a few standards... However it's been well known for a while and they have been getting support to raise the last few standards...

Unsure from your post how you got to such a drastic point, without some prior awareness of the looming situation?
Reply 2
I was not made aware of anything prior to a termination of my placement. My university tutor received two causes for concerns straight away. I was not ever informed or communicated to about any concerns.
Reply 3
Hmmm, that sounds extremely strange to me! How could you have no inclination something was wrong? Was there not meetings where you discussed your grades against standards etc...

I cannot really say other than let the uni deal with it, I'd suspect they would try and salvage someone at this late stage.

When you say terminate, they must have given cause? I would demand reasoning if it's so 'out the blue'.. did you do something you can't come back from? Conduct wise?
You can repeat your placement to gain the PGCE later if appealing doesn't work
Reply 5
Am i able to repeat the placement at all if appealing does not work? I am thinking to contact a education solicitor for the appeal?
I gained two causes for concern at once. Filled with really minor things and it was not fair at all. My tutor said the issue was entangled with a problem i faced with my mentor a long time ago i know the mentor was not able to get over the issue concerning the company CEO disliking my mentor and the had a bad relationship i became caught in-between. The issue in fact is i think i could have been fine with everything my by own university tutor does not like me very much although i go out my way to please she i think it is a personal problem. I haven't had issues in any jobs before this in teaching jobs and no problems with tutors before. This qualification was what really mattered to me and i seem to have had bad luck and got into unfortunate circumstance.
Reply 6
How can you be certain i am able to do this? I appreciate your honest advice.
Original post by Serenity101

I was able to do so during my PGCE. Sorry to hear this is happening to you
Original post by Serenity101

I don't think you can. I would imagine that it depends on the university. I'm currently looking into this myself as my placement is not going well at all and I've been put on 'cause for concern' and it doesn't look like I would get the opportunity to do another placement if I failed.

It sounds to me like your school has been extremely unfair to you. If they hadn't previously mentioned that they had concerns it seems likely that they didn't follow the procedure in which case an appeal might be successful. I would check what the procedure for failing students is, it should be on their website and/or in the student handbook.

It might be very expensive to get help from an academic solicitor. The ones I contacted said it would be nearly £200 for an initial meeting. The student union might be able to help though unfortunately mine weren't very helpful.

Good luck!
Reply 9
OMG i just read your response now. I am going through the appeal process with a solicitor and i am using medical legal service as well. I really hope your placement is going well! I learned to late... If you have a serious problem with your placement its better to defer!! quickly and have a good reason as to why some thing affected you and explains why you were affected and weren't doing so great. Defer and then find a placement you like. I stuck through a lot of nasty thins and realised i was stupid. I should have just defered.
Reply 10
Im also considering to apply to a very similar PGCE course and to the part time course so i hope if appealing doesn't work i can still manage to gain the PGCE as i already have most of the credits for it.
Have you considered inviting more 'independent' teachers to sit in on your lessons and write them up for you (e.g. the Depute Head, or someone from a different department)? In this way you can build a file of positive evidence and the staff room gossip (i.e. I saw her teach and she did just fine...) might just shame your mentor back to reality and a 'pass'. In addition to this, I recommend filming yourself teaching and reviewing these tapes with your mentor - what would she have done differently, specially...

Unfortunately if you fail to meet your mentor's expectations RE the teaching standards, you may get a PGCE, but you will NOT be able to progress on to an NQT year and will not become a teacher in any state school.

If you're having issues with your university tutor and your mentor, perhaps you could consider keeping records of specific issues (a diary). You may need to present these at some point. You could also register your issues with your mentor at the university and see if you could get someone else to visit you on placement (and assess your progress). Good luck!
Reply 12

2 days ago

I have failed my first placement on the PGCE course in early years. The mentor did not get along with me. Did my best to do everything she wanted me to improve. Emulated her teaching style, researched and observed other colleagues. The school is lovely. However felt I did not fit in with the staff no matter how positive, enthusiastic and proactive I was. She did put me on targeted support as I was " a cause for concern"

I was told behaviour management and subject knowledge had gaps in. Colleagues on my course I spoken too. Asked what they have been doing. I have been doing everything-verbal praise, stickers, house points etc.
Lesson plans-reading on subjects before I plan. Making it engaging.

I feel my confidence has been knocked out by this mentor. She told me I have passed students before and telling the uni tutors this too. Well not doing a good job as at one point she said" I do not know how to help you."

Another student is in the same school-she has a class teacher and NQT. Her teacher is supportive and positive about feedback. She got most passes. I have seen her teach, I do the same things she does.

Mine was a constant this is not right. I take constructive feedback well. As I took it on board. When I failed the mentor said I did say this week4-5 you are a cause for concern. I know and took all the feedback she gave me and did things differently, improved. Not feedback of progress. She seemed fed up with me. I felt I was more professional than she was.

The tutors observed me from uni, they said we listened to your mentor and not met all the teacher standards. They said I have 3 options-
1) withdraw from the course
2) withdraw temporarily and come back next year with some more experience in school.
3) Retake the first placement, however if you fail thats it no more retakes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending