Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A year or two again I was able to go to an Oxbridge interview preparation class with my school, and we each had a practice interview. I chose Law/Social Sciences, and was told that they interviewed applicants to find out how they think. I was asked why it's wrong to eat people, and said something along the lines of it being about respect and communications (we see animals as inferior to humans, so it's okay to eat them. They also generally lack a close bond with us due to the fact that we can't communicate with them, and so we can distance ourselves from the fact that we are eating a living thing, which could be why we generally look down on eating dogs, cats, or any other typical pet animals- it's harder to pretend they were't alive once) but was told this was wrong. I didn't think this question had correct or incorrect answers, and wasn't told what about it I needed to improve. Please could anyone who has experience with Oxbridge interviews tell me where I went wrong? Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by LN1234)
    A year or two again I was able to go to an Oxbridge interview preparation class with my school, and we each had a practice interview. I chose Law/Social Sciences, and was told that they interviewed applicants to find out how they think. I was asked why it's wrong to eat people, and said something along the lines of it being about respect and communications (we see animals as inferior to humans, so it's okay to eat them. They also generally lack a close bond with us due to the fact that we can't communicate with them, and so we can distance ourselves from the fact that we are eating a living thing, which could be why we generally look down on eating dogs, cats, or any other typical pet animals- it's harder to pretend they were't alive once) but was told this was wrong. I didn't think this question had correct or incorrect answers, and wasn't told what about it I needed to improve. Please could anyone who has experience with Oxbridge interviews tell me where I went wrong? Thanks
    Mock interviews are very rarely similar to the interviews you'll actually have if you apply, which is why we don't expect or, in most cases, advise candidates to have them. They can be useful if you've never had an interview before and are nervous about speaking to people in a setting like that, but as an actual guide to the kinds of questions you'll be asked, youtube is a far better resource!

Don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    Mock interviews are very rarely similar to the interviews you'll actually have if you apply, which is why we don't expect or, in most cases, advise candidates to have them. They can be useful if you've never had an interview before and are nervous about speaking to people in a setting like that, but as an actual guide to the kinds of questions you'll be asked, youtube is a far better resource!

Don't worry about it
    Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.