The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a tough one and I can only comment on the first year lectures (BSc).

You should know that, as far as lecturing goes, there are some major problems with a number of really important modules.

Basically, there are 3 categories of lecturers: by all means crappy (crappy slides, careless lecturing, unclear requirements), by all means superb and those who do try to deliver, but aren't particularly interesting or in some cases downright boring. Most fall into 3rd category, but please remember what I said in the second sentence.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Well that's not good news!!! How are the tutors though? Do they help out quite well or just sit there doing nothing?
What's the difference between an MSci and a Masters?
Reply 4
harryredford

same with bachelors, there are BA and BSc. Theare are two types of Masters which are MA and MSc.
Reply 5
the_oxygen
It's a tough one and I can only comment on the first year lectures (BSc).

You should know that, as far as lecturing goes, there are some major problems with a number of really important modules.

Basically, there are 3 categories of lecturers: by all means crappy (crappy slides, careless lecturing, unclear requirements), by all means superb and those who do try to deliver, but aren't particularly interesting or in some cases downright boring. Most fall into 3rd category, but please remember what I said in the second sentence.

You happen to have Michale Bleany by any chance? What are his lectuers like?
Reply 6
harryredford

I thought an Msci is a master of science, but done all in one go, so it's an under graduate award, but it is still a masters. If you did a masters after graduation is would be Msc?

kes
Reply 7
kesso12
I thought an Msci is a master of science, but done all in one go, so it's an under graduate award, but it is still a masters. If you did a masters after graduation is would be Msc?

kes

Masters are supposed to be done after bachelors. You will need to pass your degree (2.1 normally) to progress onto a master. MSc is a master of science and MA is a master of art.
My course is a four year course and I end up with an MSci. Usually would you do a BA then a Masters, and if you did would you get an MSci or a Masters? I kinda get the impression that an MSci is the equiv of half a Masters. You have to have a Masters before you can do your PhD, not that I want to, but could you skip doing your Masters if you had an MSci? I'm confused :frown:
Reply 9
harryredford
My course is a four year course and I end up with an MSci. Usually would you do a BA then a Masters, and if you did would you get an MSci or a Masters? I kinda get the impression that an MSci is the equiv of half a Masters. You have to have a Masters before you can do your PhD, not that I want to, but could you skip doing your Masters if you had an MSci? I'm confused :frown:

Like I said, Master is a step up from Bachelor and has two types :MSc and MA. The MSci you are referring to is MSc. You do BA/BSc then MA/MSc, then PhD. Thats the usual route. MSc aint no 1/2 master or whatever you call it. It is A master itself as it stands for Master of Science. There aint no 1/2 master. Usually a master's degree lasts for a year. So if you do BA/BSc plus MA/MSc then it'd be four years. Whether you get a MA/MSc really depends on your degrees. And yes it's not unheard of doing a PhD without a master but usually only for people who perform exceptionally well like a first. But it can be done with a 2.1 too. Surely you will need to show them that you're good enough to a PhD without having a Master first.
Reply 10
lorrybeep
Like I said, Master is a step up from Bachelor and has two types :MSc and MA. The MSci you are referring to is MSc. You do BA/BSc then MA/MSc, then PhD. Thats the usual route. MSc aint no 1/2 master or whatever you call it. It is A master itself as it stands for Master of Science. There aint no 1/2 master. Usually a master's degree lasts for a year. So if you do BA/BSc plus MA/MSc then it'd be four years. Whether you get a MA/MSc really depends on your degrees. And yes it's not unheard of doing a PhD without a master but usually only for people who perform exceptionally well like a first. But it can be done with a 2.1 too. Surely you will need to show them that you're good enough to a PhD without having a Master first.

Nottingham awards MSci as undergraduate masters, and MSc as postgraduate masters.
Reply 11
Really? an undergraduate master? okay I donno anything about it. It's kinda misleading say if you go around telling people that you have a master. Most people would think its the latter.
Reply 12
lorrybeep
You happen to have Michale Bleany by any chance? What are his lectuers like?

:confused:
Reply 13
lorrybeep
Really? an undergraduate master? okay I donno anything about it. It's kinda misleading say if you go around telling people that you have a master. Most people would think its the latter.

Usually it's when you do a four year course and do a more in-depth project than those on the three year course.
well if i get the grades...i guess ill be finding out with you mate!
alex-hs
Nottingham awards MSci as undergraduate masters, and MSc as postgraduate masters.

This sounds really really strange. An MSci is an undergraduate 'Masters'? Then why is it called a Masters at all??

As far as I know any type of Masters.. whether it is MA (Master in Arts), MSc (Master in Science) or MPhil (Master in Philosophy) all require that you first get your Bachelor's degree in the respective area. If you are a BA student you will have to option to master the subject further and graduate with an MA.. same goes with the other fields. The person who said his course is 4 years long and ends with an MSci? Well most BSc courses are of 3 years duration, and a MSc will be a full-time one year course... hence the four years. However he will have to graduate with a BSc in order to be able to continue for the last year. That's the way the system works all over the world... I wouldn't think the UK would be different.
Reply 16
sweetcherry
I wouldn't think the UK would be different.

think again
Exactly... the site says "The MSci programme builds on the core of physics in the BSc, leading you to the highest levels of the subject". MSc is of a higher level than BSc.. it is not an undergraduate level. You would have to successfully finish the BSc years in order to go on to the MSc... and even though you wouldn't have graduated after the third year, you would already be at graduate level. I think it would be even possible for a person to be awarded with a BSc after the third year if something happens and he will not be able to finish the fourth year... maybe something the OP would like to check out.

Basically what I'm saying is that it is not an undergraduate Masters.. when you are in the fourth year you will be already at postgraduate level.
do notts let you do econ with anything apart from AAA on results day...i.e if u phone and beg?
Reply 19
Notts are asking AAA for Economics?! That's pretty high? I mean it's not as if Nottingham is the best Uni to do Economics in? (Glad I have an unconditional offer!) :-D

Latest

Trending

Trending