Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to know if we can get into a good university with just IGCSE's. I did my IGCSE last year and I got;
    Chemistry A*
    Biology A*
    Art and Design A*
    Physics A
    Mathematics A
    German B
    English 1st Lang A
    English Lit B

I did Cambridge IGCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunethra)
    I wanted to know if we can get into a good university with just IGCSE's. I did my IGCSE last year and I got;
    Chemistry A*
    Biology A*
    Art and Design A*
    Physics A
    Mathematics A
    German B
    English 1st Lang A
    English Lit B

I did Cambridge IGCSE.
    Ignore the user above.

Those GCSEs would be fine for many medical schools. Some require a higher number of A*s (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff, etc), but if you don't apply to those and the rest of your application is in order, you should stand a good chance of getting some interviews.

Spend some time going through each medical school's admissions policy so you can make sure you're applying in the smartest way possible :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Ignore the user above.

Those GCSEs would be fine for many medical schools. Some require a higher number of A*s (e.g. Oxford, Cardiff, etc), but if you don't apply to those and the rest of your application is in order, you should stand a good chance of getting some interviews.

Spend some time going through each medical school's admissions policy so you can make sure you're applying in the smartest way possible :yy:
    Thank you for the advice. I am sitting for my alevels now. I'm doing edexcel and not Cambridge this time. And since they say that Cambridge is tougher than edexcel because in Cambridge 90 and above is considered to be an A* which in not the same case in Edexcel because they have lower boundaries. So I was wondering if universities would be keen about the exam board that you did the exam with.

And yes, I ignored the user above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunethra)
    Thank you for the advice. I am sitting for my alevels now. I'm doing edexcel and not Cambridge this time. And since they say that Cambridge is tougher than edexcel because in Cambridge 90 and above is considered to be an A* which in not the same case in Edexcel because they have lower boundaries. So I was wondering if universities would be keen about the exam board that you did the exam with.

And yes, I ignored the user above.
    I don't think universities care about the exam board so long as it's still the right qualification.

I also thought A level grades were based on standardised UMS marks e.g. 480/600 = A, regardless of the exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I don't think universities care about the exam board so long as it's still the right qualification.

I also thought A level grades were based on standardised UMS marks e.g. 480/600 = A, regardless of the exam board?
    Cambridge is 90 and above is A*, 80 and above A,...etc. Edxcel on the otherhand is different, depending on how easy and tough the paper is I think they change the passing grade

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.