Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On gov.uk, if you wanna take the test in your own car it must be "insured for a driving test (check with your insurance company)"
    I have learner driver insurance covered over the period of my test- is this basically the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWIMSHALLOW)
    On gov.uk, if you wanna take the test in your own car it must be "insured for a driving test (check with your insurance company)"
    I have learner driver insurance covered over the period of my test- is this basically the same thing?
    You have to check this with the insurance company. They will all have different policies on this and you need confirmation from the horse's mouth, not people on here who haven't seen the small print on your policy.

ReputationRep:
    I had a look on the website and it's all covered- thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    Good. Always better to be safe than sorry with legal things.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    But be aware, you almost certainly are NOT covered as soon as you pass your test. You won't be able to drive that car until you have a normal insurance policy (i.e. not a learner policy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    But be aware, you almost certainly are NOT covered as soon as you pass your test. You won't be able to drive that car until you have a normal insurance policy (i.e. not a learner policy).
    Very good point.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? Surely most policies cover the main driver knowing he/she is a learner but accepting that status is likely to change (and thereby improve the insurance risk). If I added a learner as a named driver to my policy I would not expect it to invalidate my use of the car and allow only the learner to drive.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Eh? Surely most policies cover the main driver knowing he/she is a learner but accepting that status is likely to change (and thereby improve the insurance risk). If I added a learner as a named driver to my policy I would not expect it to invalidate my use of the car and allow only the learner to drive.
    Learner, or provisional, policies (e.g. Marmalade) can sit on top of the normal insurance policy. They expire as soon the learner passes, and the original policy won't know anything about the former learner driver.

http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/lear...iver-insurance

ReputationRep:
    Learner, or provisional, policies (e.g. Marmalade) can sit on top of the normal insurance policy. They expire as soon the learner passes, and the original policy won't know anything about the former learner driver.

http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/lear...iver-insurance
    Ah! Of course. I hadn't considered the policy was a separate add-on one (and had forgotten they existed).

However, the best advice of all is that no driver should ever drive home after taking a driving test, whether or not they have passed. Their emotional state and ability to focus would be such that safe driving is impossible. I was certainly incapable of being in charge of dangerous machinery when I passed mine, and I wouldn't even have been capable of using the starter handle or lighting the acetylene lamps to lighten the winter gloom.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah! Of course. I hadn't considered the policy was a separate add-on one (and had forgotten they existed).

However, the best advice of all is that no driver should ever drive home after taking a driving test, whether or not they have passed. Their emotional state and ability to focus would be such that safe driving is impossible. I was certainly incapable of being in charge of dangerous machinery when I passed mine, and I wouldn't even have been capable of using the starter handle or lighting the acetylene lamps to lighten the winter gloom.
    But you would have had your man to walk in front waving a flag. Surely that would have helped?

ReputationRep:

I drove myself home from hospital after two caesarians. You men are such wusses. (And yes, I did have my doctors' and insurance company's permission to do it. )

ReputationRep:
    But you would have had your man to walk in front waving a flag. Surely that would have helped?
    hehe. Red flags went out long before driving tests came in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I drove myself home from hospital after two caesarians. You men are such wusses. (And yes, I did have my doctors' and insurance company's permission to do it. )
    We are. Women have much higher pain thresholds, in general.

However, I was more concerned with the effects of shaking hands, buzzing in the head and the inability to concentrate than with pain.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.