Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help becoming professional and overcoming my fears! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I am now 23 and wasted 2 years in a job i hate in the public sector. However I noticed at pattern in myself that I have become so unorganised and unconfident in doing any job. i wanted to be a science or primary school teacher but after my sis had a bad experience with it I didn't end up going for it and feel completely horrible that i didn't. i have completely irrational fears when I am thinking about ging into teaching and i have forgotten the main reason I wanted to go into it and what day to day the role is like. Any advice please help!

ReputationRep:
    Have you had any experience in a classroom? It's very easy to develop irrational fears about something you have never actually experienced.

Schools often have unpaid helpers to do reading or other classroom helping. So maybe contact your local schools (even better if you know someone in the school) to get inside a classroom and find out if you actually enjoy it or not.

The good thing is, if you absolutely hate it, you can walk away without having invested much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes as a student myself or man year i had tonnes of experience and an idea of the type of teacher i would be. I haven't recently been back for the 2 weeks worke experience which is required to apply for teaching, but i did go for a few days in a primary school and got bored , i need to see young people teaching lessons maybe. i have a degree in psycholgoy and confused what to do now, but i need to get out my current office job asap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justfedup)
    but i did go for a few days in a primary school and got bored
    Well, that's not a good sign if you want to teach...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Well, that's not a good sign if you want to teach...
    no observing lessons is not as fun as actually teaching them and planning them and the teaching was not that great, i just prefer being able to teach older students the type of lessons i had at college and univeristy but i think i could enjoy primary once i get into it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.