Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have quite a stubborn teacher who marks very strict. Me, as well as my class are struggling to meet criteria set by him. This is what I have at the moment:

Aspirin is quite a stable molecule stored under dry, cool conditions. However, as aspirin is exposed to moist air, aspirin slowly hydrolyses and its purity drops. This produces the ethanoic acid reagent used in production. Hydrolysis is a reaction involving the breaking of a bond in a molecule using water.
    In our experiment we are performing a reflux reaction. Best yield should be obtained by heating the mixture of reactants around 15 degrees above the boiling point of the solvent. This will allow for optimal heat and higher rate of collisions during reaction, allowing more product to be produced. If we use too high of a temperature the reflux can fail and gas can escape, causing loss of product.
    Transferring solutions as little as possible also helps us avoid sample loss, as well as using good filtering techniques.
    As well as this; reagents may still remain from equilibria and unexpected side reactions may happen due to contamination of precursors or final product, this could also be because of reagents being used in excess or improperly.

As mentioned, equilibria involve reagents turning into products which turn back into the reagents. The equilibrium mixture will contain both reagents and the product, so the reaction does not fully complete. This will result in reagents ending up as products thus affecting final yield.

-----------------------------

I have also mentioned cleanliness, ease of movement in workplace and contamination procedures as well as mechanism of synthesis and general methods used such as stabilizers, catalysers, extractions, environmental factors such as heat, moisture, light etc. What else can I add? I'm at a loss here.

ReputationRep:
    Talk about the recrystallisation of aspirin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wunderbarr)
    Talk about the recrystallisation of aspirin?
    I've already done that
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Charles97)
    I have quite a stubborn teacher who marks very strict. Me, as well as my class are struggling to meet criteria set by him. This is what I have at the moment:

Aspirin is quite a stable molecule stored under dry, cool conditions. However, as aspirin is exposed to moist air, aspirin slowly hydrolyses and its purity drops. This produces the ethanoic acid reagent used in production. Hydrolysis is a reaction involving the breaking of a bond in a molecule using water.
    In our experiment we are performing a reflux reaction. Best yield should be obtained by heating the mixture of reactants around 15 degrees above the boiling point of the solvent. This will allow for optimal heat and higher rate of collisions during reaction, allowing more product to be produced. If we use too high of a temperature the reflux can fail and gas can escape, causing loss of product.
    Transferring solutions as little as possible also helps us avoid sample loss, as well as using good filtering techniques.
    As well as this; reagents may still remain from equilibria and unexpected side reactions may happen due to contamination of precursors or final product, this could also be because of reagents being used in excess or improperly.

As mentioned, equilibria involve reagents turning into products which turn back into the reagents. The equilibrium mixture will contain both reagents and the product, so the reaction does not fully complete. This will result in reagents ending up as products thus affecting final yield.

-----------------------------

I have also mentioned cleanliness, ease of movement in workplace and contamination procedures as well as mechanism of synthesis and general methods used such as stabilizers, catalysers, extractions, environmental factors such as heat, moisture, light etc. What else can I add? I'm at a loss here.
    It is not possible to heat a liquid above its boiling point unless it is under pressure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    It is not possible to heat a liquid above its boiling point unless it is under pressure!
    Great! I'll add that in. Thanks

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.