What is your favourite thing in physics?

Watch
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
When I was doing my A Levels, I was really excited for the A2 astrophysics topics. I still love astrophysics, and I even did some research last year into modelling neutron stars. However I think particle physics was a really interesting topic at A level.

I'm interested to hear what everyone else enjoys!
XxKingSniprxX
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
When I was doing my A Levels, I was really excited for the A2 astrophysics topics. I still love astrophysics, and I even did some research last year into modelling neutron stars. However I think particle physics was a really interesting topic at A level.

Theoretical Physics> all. :moon:
Bailey8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Gravity
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Women.
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Well there's particle physics, which I just think is so cool! It's amazing how things on a scale of grandeur to stem from something so tiny. (Ever heard of Quantum Entanglement)?

Even though I might be a bit rusty on my skills with mechanics, I still really like that topic. The way it applies to real life in so many different scenarios, just sort of changes your mind set on how things work in a way.

There's just so many other things in physics to discover :woo:
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by aamirac)
This is so true. That's what makes maths and physics so interesting - there's always something new to learn about!
Peroxidation
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Right down the other end of the size spectrum. The quantum world.

This is a simulation image of water on a perovskite surface. I just think it's so awesome how the hydroxide ion ends up orbiting the hydrogen nucleus that's attached itself to the material's surface, it's like the precession of nuclei in NMR! :ahee:

This isn't my favorite thing though, I don't actually have a favorite. I love the whole quantum world!

I should probably add that saying anything negative about any area of physics is a crime, they're all good!
aamirac
Report 5 years ago
This is so true. That's what makes maths and physics so interesting - there's always something new to learn about!
Indeed so! You'd learn one topic and then when you research it further you realise there's just a whole lot more that it leads to. :moon:
Platopus
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
Giving it up in year 11
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peroxidation)
Right down the other end of the size spectrum. The quantum world.

This is a simulation image of water on a perovskite surface. I just think it's so awesome how the hydroxide ion ends up orbiting the hydrogen nucleus that's attached itself to the material's surface, it's like the precession of nuclei in NMR! :ahee:

This isn't my favorite thing though, I don't actually have a favorite. I love the whole quantum world!

I should probably add that saying anything negative about any area of physics is a crime, they're all good!
One can't say enough negative stuff on Condensed Matter physics

On-topic: Hydrodynamics and fluid physics generally is EXTREMELY fun to do.
Peroxidation
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well there's particle physics, which I just think is so cool! It's amazing how things on a scale of grandeur to stem from something so tiny. (Ever heard of Quantum Entanglement)?

Even though I might be a bit rusty on my skills with mechanics, I still really like that topic. The way it applies to real life in so many different scenarios, just sort of changes your mind set on how things work in a way.

YES! IKR! It's so amazing how wonderfully complex the quantum world is, with such a limited number of fundamental particles you get all the elements and atomic structures and everything they create.

You're gonna love this: https://www.newscientist.com/article...spots-at-once/
Peroxidation
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oShahpo)
One can't say enough negative stuff on Condensed Matter physics
Blasphemy!

(Original post by oShahpo)
On-topic: Hydrodynamics and fluid physics generally is EXTREMELY fun to do.
Can't argue with that though.
Big Moisty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

rayquaza pls.....
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

When the bell rings and I can leave class
soIiIoquy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
SUVAT equations <3

Spoiler:
Show
LOLNO
aamirac
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peroxidation)
YES! IKR! It's so amazing how wonderfully complex the quantum world is, with such a limited number of fundamental particles you get all the elements and atomic structures and everything they create.

You're gonna love this: https://www.newscientist.com/article...spots-at-once/
YES! Exactly that! It's just wonderfully strange about how everything just pieces itself together.

:teeth: I love the buzz reading physics! I'm just thinking ''how?'' and ''why?'' (the particles in the experiment behave that way) :rofl:
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Found astrophysics hard but interesting, did a "related" EPQ title.
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Quantum mechanics, although the maths gets really nasty very quickly
Peroxidation
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
YES! Exactly that! It's just wonderfully strange about how everything just pieces itself together.

:teeth: I love the buzz reading physics! I'm just thinking ''how?'' and ''why?'' (the particles in the experiment behave that way) :rofl:
Ikr! It's that confusion, the way the macroscopic world is so predictable and then the minute you start dealing with atoms they decide to muck you around. The atoms, their structures and all the particles that make the atoms, they're all just so devious! It's one of the reasons why I love them so much!
Pink_Sparkles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i like the electricity and radioactivity !!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (36)
22.5%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (76)
47.5%
I'm unsure (48)
30%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise