Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Need to workout the structure of the athletes foot virus. For example the MRSA is a coccus bacteria. Does anyone know the shape of the virus

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satykaur26)
    Need to workout the structure of the athletes foot virus. For example the MRSA is a coccus bacteria. Does anyone know the shape of the virus

Thanks
    Firstly bacteria are different to virus structure-wise, and this is mainly due to their different nature. Bacteria are considered to be cells, while viruses are acellular. The shapes of viruses vary depending on the shape of the protein coat. You have two main capsid symmetries: icosahedral and helical.

Secondly, most of athlete's foot conditions are caused by fungi which are a completely different class of microorganisms. Fungi can be in either hyphae or yeast form. In yeast form they act like a single cell, while in hyphae form they form thread-like structures, like in the mould you see on bread, and behave like a colony. I am not aware of a structural classification system of yeast. Can you tell me more about your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkyone)
    Firstly bacteria are different to virus structure-wise, and this is mainly due to their different nature. Bacteria are considered to be cells, while viruses are acellular. The shapes of viruses vary depending on the shape of the protein coat. You have two main capsid symmetries: icosahedral and helical.

Secondly, most of athlete's foot conditions are caused by fungi which are a completely different class of microorganisms. Fungi can be in either hyphae or yeast form. In yeast form they act like a single cell, while in hyphae form they form thread-like structures, like in the mould you see on bread, and behave like a colony. I am not aware of a structural classification system of yeast. Can you tell me more about your question?
    Basically I need to know the structure of athletes foot. Basically they are trichophytons. I have no idea of fungi shapes.

For other disease like MRSA I wrote coccal bacteria and for norovirus I wrote icosahedral shape

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satykaur26)
    Basically I need to know the structure of athletes foot. Basically they are trichophytons. I have no idea of fungi shapes.

For other disease like MRSA I wrote coccal bacteria and for norovirus I wrote icosahedral shape
    I'm still a bit puzzled that it asks for Shape, as I am not sure of a classification system. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge than me can answer

ReputationRep:
    You can't classify them in the same way as bacteria and viruses, instead you classify them based on whether they are yeast (asexually dividing single cells) or mycelia, which are meshes of long filaments known as hyphae. Trichophyton is made up of hyphae <-- so that is how you would classify it.

Technically in medicine, you tend to classify fungi depending on where they infect, rather than anything structural

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AortaStudyMore)
    You can't classify them in the same way as bacteria and viruses, instead you classify them based on whether they are yeast (asexually dividing single cells) or mycelia, which are meshes of long filaments known as hyphae. Trichophyton is made up of hyphae <-- so that is how you would classify it.

Technically in medicine, you tend to classify fungi depending on where they infect, rather than anything structural

Thanks I really appreciate your reply

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.