Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cheating on a partner watch

Announcements

Cheating on partners seems to be a hugely common occurence, particularly in young people. I can honestly say that I have never engaged in any behaviour which could be considered cheating, but know many who have. Studies also suggest it's a very common occurence, both in married and unmarried couples.

Obviously cheating is down to self-control, the state of the relationship and situation-specific variables i.e. alcohol, opportunity etc. but I wonder whether it says something about a person. What about in the case of an individual extremely lacking in self-esteem/with abandonment issues who derives confidence from casual sexual encounters and the attention of mutliple partners?

With the exception of being genuinely stuck in a loveless or abusive relationship, I cannot see cheating on a partner as ever being justifiable. To me, to cheat on a loving, undeserving partner suggests, at best, immaturity and ill consideration of consequences and, at worst, utter selfishness and a complete disregard for the feelings of others.

What do you guys think, trying to be as objective as possible.

ReputationRep:
    cheating is the worst thing ever in a relationship because it says you don't care about the person you are cheating on or you regard them as less important. I have never even thought of cheating as it is just a stupid and hurtful thing to do and shows that the person cheating has no regard for the consequences or the other person's feelings

(Original post by GunslingerZearon)
    cheating is the worst thing ever in a relationship because it says you don't care about the person you are cheating on or you regard them as less important. I have never even thought of cheating as it is just a stupid and hurtful thing to do and shows that the person cheating has no regard for the consequences or the other person's feelings
    Maybe, but I know of people who do care, or have cared about partners hugely, but cheat anyway, maybe because they prioritise themselves or because they consider the relationship to have been over/without a future - not a justification but a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Most people do it.... especially at uni. I am yet to see a couple where one member did not cheat at some point. These often are the same people who state 'once a cheater always a cheater'.

In my opinion it's because of maturity levels of couples seems to be the same until the mid to late 20's. In reality many seem fairly similar to late secondary school or sixth form relationships, especially in comparison to our parents generation.

I personally don't agree with the once a cheater always a cheater mantra, seeing otherwise no-one would ever get with anyone else. It's wrong and should not be commited. It's generally speaking a state of maturity which sadly some people never reach. If you're not happy with your relationship or the amount of sex, talk about it with your partner!

ReputationRep:
    i would never cheat in a relationship, i honestly dont know how people can do it. if i ever cheated on my boyfriend then i would be consumed by guilt. i dont see any point if you want to cheat then just break up with your current partner rather than causing so much heartache and affecting their future relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Not every one views cheating as that bad, particularly when young. It's just part of mischievous dating fun. A bit older it seem to be men who have a 'wanting their cake and eat it' attitude to relationships. I'm not sure why women in committed relationships cheat.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's justifiable either, I honestly don't think it's in any way a normal part of life or a relationship for most people, I think I could forgive someone for cheating but the trust would be gone from the relationship so I would not continue with them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's obviously a bad thing, but what are you going to do about it?

ReputationRep:
    Cheating is never justifiable (even in a loveless relationship) and the perpetrators aren't worth ****.

ReputationRep:
    Cheating is not exactly justifiable, but all the same, it is understandable. I don't think anyone is a terrible person for cheating alone, just an undisciplined and selfish person, which most of us probably are to be honest..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Cheating is horrible, I mean unless I guess you are in a trapped abusive relationship then there is no justification for it. I have been cheated on in the past and I got no desire to put any girl through that in future.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.