Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Theoretically) A*AB due solely to ISAs, do Warwick still let me in? (A*AA req.) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've got my A2/AS ISA grades now, and both are pretty awful (AQA). Not 100% sure exactly what each one is, but roughly around the C mark I think. For the sake of argument, let's assume that I would have to average 90% in the Unit 4 and 5 exams to average an A overall. (In Units 1 and 2 I got just over 80% in both).

If I don't manage to average my grade out to an A with Units 4 and 5, will I still be let in with a high B in Physics? Considering how broken the ISAs are, the fact that AQA ditches them the year after I started my A-levels, and the fact that a decent amount of schools let students sit together to do the exam, which results in inflated grade boundaries, surely Warwick wouldn't just straight up reject me, right?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    So I've got my A2/AS ISA grades now, and both are pretty awful (AQA). Not 100% sure exactly what each one is, but roughly around the C mark I think. For the sake of argument, let's assume that I would have to average 90% in the Unit 4 and 5 exams to average an A overall. (In Units 1 and 2 I got just over 80% in both).

If I don't manage to average my grade out to an A with Units 4 and 5, will I still be let in with a high B in Physics? Considering how broken the ISAs are, the fact that AQA ditches them the year after I started my A-levels, and the fact that a decent amount of schools let students sit together to do the exam, which results in inflated grade boundaries, surely Warwick wouldn't just straight up reject me, right?
    It depends on what all of the other applicants achieve as to whether they'll consider you if you narrowly miss your offer, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It depends on what all of the other applicants achieve as to whether they'll consider you if you narrowly miss your offer, sorry.
    Yeah, that's what I was anticipating. Though a silver lining might be that out of all the people who miss their grades, I'd like to think my scenario would put me somewhat near the top of the pile. Either way, waiting for results day is gonna be even more horrible than it usually would be.

Yeah, that's what I was anticipating. Though a silver lining might be that out of all the people who miss their grades, I'd like to think my scenario would put me somewhat near the top of the pile. Either way, waiting for results day is gonna be even more horrible than it usually would be.
    They'll compare you to everyone else, but if you're unlucky, a load of people mightve gotten some "help" with their ISAs and the practical exams never lowered their grades. You might find that many meet the offer grades, especially if they've done EMPAs as the grade boundaries are really quite low (in my physics AS EMPA I got 80% raw marks which translated to full UMS...). You'll just have to wait and see, prepare for the worst and hope for the best is all you can do

ReputationRep:

This will sound a bit harsh but I think you should focus on achieving 90% in those modules rather than wondering if Warwick will let you in with a B. If you achieve close to 90% you might have a chance even if you miss out narrowly on an A overall. I was fairly meh at the practical modules as well (low B) but I just did very well at the written exams to compensate. So yeah, get cracking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    This will sound a bit harsh but I think you should focus on achieving 90% in those modules rather than wondering if Warwick will let you in with a B. If you achieve close to 90% you might have a chance even if you miss out narrowly on an A overall. I was fairly meh at the practical modules as well (low B) but I just did very well at the written exams to compensate. So yeah, get cracking.
    That's what I was already planning to do, but it shouldn't even be the case to begin with. I just can't believe that whether I get into my firm choice could be based on something as fickle as this.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I was already planning to do, but it shouldn't even be the case to begin with. I just can't believe that whether I get into my firm choice could be based on something as fickle as this.
    I spoke to the head of admissions on my sons offerholders day. He said they always have a pile of narrowly missed offers to look at; he said they will never accept a missed grade in maths but are more forgiving with physics/chemistry.They also look at the wider picture - he said that that is when they look at the personal statement ( I always suspected they didnt look at the personal statement as my sons offer pinged out just hours after he applied), whether 3 or 4 A levels were taken, EPQs etc.

Its important to remember that unis will not see your UMS scores for individual units- they will only see a grade, so they wont know that the ISAs let you down. I would advise flogging yourself to get the A. The grade boundaries for physics are pretty low so it is achievable. Also, there is no harm in emailing them to explain the situation and tell them how much you want to go to warwick. Cheesy, but it might be enough to sway your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old Mum)
    I spoke to the head of admissions on my sons offerholders day. He said they always have a pile of narrowly missed offers to look at; he said they will never accept a missed grade in maths but are more forgiving with physics/chemistry.They also look at the wider picture - he said that that is when they look at the personal statement ( I always suspected they didnt look at the personal statement as my sons offer pinged out just hours after he applied), whether 3 or 4 A levels were taken, EPQs etc.

Its important to remember that unis will not see your UMS scores for individual units- they will only see a grade, so they wont know that the ISAs let you down. I would advise flogging yourself to get the A. The grade boundaries for physics are pretty low so it is achievable. Also, there is no harm in emailing them to explain the situation and tell them how much you want to go to warwick. Cheesy, but it might be enough to sway your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's another thing I was planning to do. A passionately written email or phone call will be the last thing I can do to get myself a place, and it's not like I'll have anything to lose.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.