Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am new to this forum.

I am doing distance learning A Level Psychology.

I wanted to know how to structure my answers for the Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 3 and Unit 4 Psychology AQA exams?

Do I use PEE (Point,Example and Explanation)?

Also do I have to collect my own research for all the exams and tell the examiners of the research?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    Before I start, I used to do Psychology AS AQA (2 years ago now) but I remember some of it.
    Firstly, when are you doing your exams? There is a new AQA spec that is being taught for the current AS class, I know that it is called paper 1 and paper 2, not psychology unit 1 and unit 2 etc. This will make a big difference as the old spec (the one I did) because there are things you do in the old spec in psychology unit 1&2 and likewise in paper 1 and 2.
    For A2 Psychology, I know that the old spec you choose 2/3 topics for each paper, as there are a huge range of topics to choose from. The paper is also different, as there are fewer questions, but you have to answer several 24 mark essays, in comparison to the one 12 mark one in the AS paper.

In terms of structure, it really does depend on the question. I have taken a few questions from Psychology unit 1 (old spec)- PSYA1 as it is called
    "The working memory model includes the central executive, the phonological loop andthe visuo-spatial sketchpad. Outline the main functions of the phonological loop andthe visuo-spatial sketchpad.[4 marks]" Here you would just simply state the WMM and what the main functions are within the WMM. For example The central executive does this___, the phonological loop is ___ and so on.

For a 12 mark essay "Outline and evaluate Bowlby's theory of attachment. 12 marks." you would outline what his theory was and then mention a few case studies that support Bowlby's theory of attachment. You would use the PEE structure. Also, the A2 papers you would use PEEL (Point Evidence Explain Link), but I don't know much on that.

In terms of case studies, once again it would depend on what spec you are doing, but you can buy relevant revision guides and textbooks and they will tell you.

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewm12012)
    Hello.
    Before I start, I used to do Psychology AS AQA (2 years ago now) but I remember some of it.
    Firstly, when are you doing your exams? There is a new AQA spec that is being taught for the current AS class, I know that it is called paper 1 and paper 2, not psychology unit 1 and unit 2 etc. This will make a big difference as the old spec (the one I did) because there are things you do in the old spec in psychology unit 1&2 and likewise in paper 1 and 2.
    For A2 Psychology, I know that the old spec you choose 2/3 topics for each paper, as there are a huge range of topics to choose from. The paper is also different, as there are fewer questions, but you have to answer several 24 mark essays, in comparison to the one 12 mark one in the AS paper.

In terms of structure, it really does depend on the question. I have taken a few questions from Psychology unit 1 (old spec)- PSYA1 as it is called
    "The working memory model includes the central executive, the phonological loop andthe visuo-spatial sketchpad. Outline the main functions of the phonological loop andthe visuo-spatial sketchpad.[4 marks]" Here you would just simply state the WMM and what the main functions are within the WMM. For example The central executive does this___, the phonological loop is ___ and so on.

For a 12 mark essay "Outline and evaluate Bowlby's theory of attachment. 12 marks." you would outline what his theory was and then mention a few case studies that support Bowlby's theory of attachment. You would use the PEE structure. Also, the A2 papers you would use PEEL (Point Evidence Explain Link), but I don't know much on that.

In terms of case studies, once again it would depend on what spec you are doing, but you can buy relevant revision guides and textbooks and they will tell you.

I hope this helps!
    I am studying the old spec. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious24)
    I am studying the old spec. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated
    hi im doing the old spec too -retaking last years exams so im also doing unit 1 and unit 2

are u taking the exam tomorrow?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.