Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear fellow members,

Nice to meet you all, this is my first post/thread on this forum so excuse me if it's in the wrong place, had a quick look and thought this would probably be the most appropriate place for this thread. I have a predicament I'd like to discuss and hopefully get some of your valuable input on. (Thank you to those who take the time to read and reply!)

In life there are people who've made a few mistakes or have a shady past and I'm definitely one of those people. Not to make any excuses for my behaviour, but coming from a traditional foreign background, my family had the view of uni being the pathway to success and I grew up really aspiring to go. However, after the Tory government came into power and raised the tuition fees to 9k a year and cut off EMA, it really put me off and angered me.

I attended the 2011 student protests and channeled my passion/anger in the wrong way and was involved in several altercations with the police and got caught up in a load of trouble. I acquired several charges (listed below), and was sentenced to 18 months in prison a few days after my 19th birthday. I had just turned 18 at the time of committing the offences and was halfway through my 1st year of A Levels, which I then failed and dropped out of due to constant prolonged court cases and related issues. Prior to the ones listed below, I'd never been arrested or charged with anything and had a completely clean record:

- Caution for theft (I'd found a wallet of a fellow protester which I'd recognised, I'd kept it on me with the intention of handing it in later - we were kettled in at the time and when I was arrested I got charged for it. I come from a poor single parent household and thus had to have a duty solicitor who'd at the time advised me to accept all charges - a decision I regret to this day. Nothing was found missing from the wallet. Cards and cash included)

- Violent Disorder - The charge I was sentenced for.

I served 7 months in a YOI and got out on good behaviour, serving the remaining 2 months on tag.

With no qualifications apart from 10 A-C GCSE's and a criminal record, and household which needed financial support, I immediately got a manual labour minimum wage job which I done for the next 3 years while doing stewarding at a club on the weekends.

I am now 23 years old, with nothing but GCSE's, uncompleted/failed AS/A Levels and no clear plan of action. I quit my manual labour job a while back once I was financially stable with the intention of sorting out my CV and searching for a proper career after I found it really hard to do working the hours I was.

After months of applying, to no avail, I'd decided that in the current climate finding the type of job I wanted to do with my qualifications and lack of experience and criminal record, I had no chance and thus, with the help of some really good friends I decided, and managed to sort out two CV's, one which included some prior office experience which shows me dropping out of college but covering up my incarceration period with it, and the rest factually accurate (manual labour and stewarding job) and the other, again showing I'd dropped out of college but instead my last few years and currently showing me working in a basic office/sales industry. I can supply references for everything enlisted on my two CV's.

I'm currently using one to apply for apprenticeships as GCSE's is all I have, and I don't mind accepting lower pay as I can get by during the 1st year and gaining further qualifications, and the other to apply for entry level 16-19k standard office jobs whether it be in business administration, data entry, whatever it may be. I'd just like some genuine office work I can either get paid and build from, or an apprenticeship I can gain qualifications from and again, build from to search for jobs going forward.

I have also stopped declaring my criminal record as I was advised by close friends in office environments that unless I'm applying to work for well established, big companies (banks etc), or in security or with children, it's unlikely they'll pay for a DBS check providing there aren't any major gaps in my CV and I can account for everything on it. Can anyone verify these claims?

As mentioned, I am now 23 years old and turn 24 in October and to be quite frank, feel pathetic of the situation I'm in due to some of the poor decisions I've made during my younger years which I am now paying for today.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here, but time is running out for me and I'm becoming more and more desperate to get a job which will pay me in the meantime, even if it is peanuts, but more importantly one that I can gain experience and build from going into the future.

I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to read what turned out to be a rather long post, and thank you in advance for any replies - It is truly, greatly appreciated!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by DQTSixty)
    Dear fellow members,

Nice to meet you all, this is my first post/thread on this forum so excuse me if it's in the wrong place, had a quick look and thought this would probably be the most appropriate place for this thread. I have a predicament I'd like to discuss and hopefully get some of your valuable input on. (Thank you to those who take the time to read and reply!)

In life there are people who've made a few mistakes or have a shady past and I'm definitely one of those people. Not to make any excuses for my behaviour, but coming from a traditional foreign background, my family had the view of uni being the pathway to success and I grew up really aspiring to go. However, after the Tory government came into power and raised the tuition fees to 9k a year and cut off EMA, it really put me off and angered me.

I attended the 2011 student protests and channeled my passion/anger in the wrong way and was involved in several altercations with the police and got caught up in a load of trouble. I acquired several charges (listed below), and was sentenced to 18 months in prison a few days after my 19th birthday. I had just turned 18 at the time of committing the offences and was halfway through my 1st year of A Levels, which I then failed and dropped out of due to constant prolonged court cases and related issues. Prior to the ones listed below, I'd never been arrested or charged with anything and had a completely clean record:

- Caution for theft (I'd found a wallet of a fellow protester which I'd recognised, I'd kept it on me with the intention of handing it in later - we were kettled in at the time and when I was arrested I got charged for it. I come from a poor single parent household and thus had to have a duty solicitor who'd at the time advised me to accept all charges - a decision I regret to this day. Nothing was found missing from the wallet. Cards and cash included)

I served 7 months in a YOI and got out on good behaviour, serving the remaining 2 months on tag.

With no qualifications apart from 10 A-C GCSE's and a criminal record, and household which needed financial support, I immediately got a manual labour minimum wage job which I done for the next 3 years while doing stewarding at a club on the weekends.

I am now 23 years old, with nothing but GCSE's, uncompleted/failed AS/A Levels and no clear plan of action. I quit my manual labour job a while back once I was financially stable with the intention of sorting out my CV and searching for a proper career after I found it really hard to do working the hours I was.

After months of applying, to no avail, I'd decided that in the current climate finding the type of job I wanted to do with my qualifications and lack of experience and criminal record, I had no chance and thus, with the help of some really good friends I decided, and managed to sort out two CV's, one which included some prior office experience which shows me dropping out of college but covering up my incarceration period with it, and the rest factually accurate (manual labour and stewarding job) and the other, again showing I'd dropped out of college but instead my last few years and currently showing me working in a basic office/sales industry. I can supply references for everything enlisted on my two CV's.

I'm currently using one to apply for apprenticeships as GCSE's is all I have, and I don't mind accepting lower pay as I can get by during the 1st year and gaining further qualifications, and the other to apply for entry level 16-19k standard office jobs whether it be in business administration, data entry, whatever it may be. I'd just like some genuine office work I can either get paid and build from, or an apprenticeship I can gain qualifications from and again, build from to search for jobs going forward.

I have also stopped declaring my criminal record as I was advised by close friends in office environments that unless I'm applying to work for well established, big companies (banks etc), or in security or with children, it's unlikely they'll pay for a DBS check providing there aren't any major gaps in my CV and I can account for everything on it. Can anyone verify these claims?

As mentioned, I am now 23 years old and turn 24 in October and to be quite frank, feel pathetic of the situation I'm in due to some of the poor decisions I've made during my younger years which I am now paying for today.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here, but time is running out for me and I'm becoming more and more desperate to get a job which will pay me in the meantime, even if it is peanuts, but more importantly one that I can gain experience and build from going into the future.

I'd like to thank you all for taking the time to read what turned out to be a rather long post, and thank you in advance for any replies - It is truly, greatly appreciated!
    Any employer could run a DBS check if they wanted, i m sure they can get a discount as larger employers. Yes you made a mistake, but you were an adult at the time and by lying on your cv, honestly it's like you're just going to start digging yourself a worse hole by effectively committing fraud . If somehow you got a job and they find out that you were deceitful then you might struggle to ever get a job again. You should want to show employers that you've changed, not try and hide your past.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its not clear what you specifically want , so i identified.2 issues:

1. On the basis you were 19 when convicted and got an 18 month sentence, then you are only required to disclose convictions, which are unspent according to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 74. The period required before something is considered spent is the length of the conviction plus a buffer period, which in the case of an 18 month prison sentence is 4 years.

That would mean imo your offence is going to show up on a basic DBS check for 5 years 8 months from the first day of your sentence. If you started serving your sentence when you were 19, then that would put you roughly 4 months before your 25th Birthday. Something like July/August 2017 before its considered spent.. This is important becayse on the most basic checks your criminal record will not show.

If you apply for certain jobs that deal with kids, vulnerable adults, the law or finance, then certain employers can do more detailed checks, where even if spent your convictions will show. You could just aboid these type of jobs.

What id suggest you do is to contact your parol officer or the people at NACRO and take advice from them. they ahve excellent advice on how to apply for jobs and explain what the law says for people with criminal records.

https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettlemen...-to-employers/

Any jobs you apply for would be knowing they could see your record until that date. they may give you a chance. Unfortunately you have a caution for theft and a conviction for violence and employers tend not to be very wary of these. You might find someone willing to give you a chance. Ask your local Nacro.

In the meantime you could perhaps get on with your qualifications?

2. Applying for jobs. there is good information on the NACRO site about what to say and when to discuss your record.

As I said it will still show until it becomes spent and thats only for basic searches.

As Claire said you need to be very wary about lying or hiding a record or things on your CV as that will be deception and a crime of dishonesty if caught. Its worse than the things you are trying to hide. Its up to you, but its a risk you take and i'd suggest you tell the truth rather than make things worse. Hang in there people a lot older than you have turned their lives around.. You have plenty of time to get a career, go to Uni etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I'm not saying it should be easy to get a job, it's not easy for anyone, but you don't have to declare your criminal history unless you are asked, and an employer can't just choose to run a DBS check on you without it being relevant to the role. So avoid anything working with children, vulnerable adults or similar and you are in the clear.

You have to be honest when making a job application, omission of non-relevant information is not dishonest, and if they don't ask, then you can assume it isn't relevant to the employer. An employer can dismiss you on the spot for lying on a job application, whether it is a CV or an application form process. However, if they want to do that, they have to be able to prove whatever you lied about was key in making them select you - they can't do that for an omission they never asked for details of.

You've still got to find a job with just GCSEs, but all is not lost when you have some work experience. If you want to improve your academics, you could look at something like the OU, or evening classes.

ReputationRep:
    Dear fellow members,

They wont run a check. If they do run a check they will say on the application form. For instance look at royal mail.
    Your friends are right. However if you have the job and they want to run a check, you have just say no and quit. They will not now the reason.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.