The Student Room Group

Questions about IB retake and reapply through UCAS for 2017 entry

As the title says, I wanted to ask you about IB retake on November and reapply for 2017 entry.

I'm currently holding offers from UCL and KCL for mathematics and physics but to be honest, I'm not certain whether I'll meet their conditions (mainly due to bio HL and Lit SL).

So I just wanted to have an idea of what will happen then.

Let's say I missed the conditions and decided to retake those subjects (perhaps also in maths and physics HL reattempt to achieve 7) to improve my grades.

Then I get a score of somewhere around 40 to 45 from retake (as what everyone dreams of).

I've got a rough idea that the Nov results are released around first week of January (which is right before the UCAS deadline, which is on 15th)

Will I still be able to reapply like Durham, UCL and so on through UCAS and get a place?

I've decided not to talk about this with any of my college staffs until the result day, so I wouldn't make them worry about it.
Hi jk2212,
I was in the exact same situation as you last year (sat the May 2015 session and resat in the November 2015 session), missed my offer from Kings due to Physics HL so I decided to re-sit the paper in the November Session. It is absolutely possible for you to do this, however you must have everything prepared and your UCAS profile set up and filled in (apart from the resit grades) before you even get your IB results. I had about a week between receiving my IB results and sending off my IB application so you gotta be organized in order to not miss the deadline (mainly due to uncertainty in which uni to apply to).

Before you make the decision to pretty much take a gap year in order to re-sit some exams you have to make sure that the university/course accepts applicants with resits or applicants with grades form 2 different exam sessions (Durham and King's accepted my 2016 entry UCAS application and am currently holding an unconditional from Durham, however i'm unsure about UCL though). If you do get accepted into your reserve choice uni but still want to do this, you will have to reject their offer in order to open up an application on UCAS 2017.

Also very important to check is if your school will provide support or resources for your re-sit, especially since you are planning to potentially resit 4 subject (2 of them being maths and physics HL) and get 7's, if you don't get school support seek out a tuition centre as it will be very difficult to prepare for all 4 subjects alone.

And a personal word of advice, find something else to do during the gap year to improve your Personal Statement or else when you apply the uni's will wonder what you have done for the rest of your gap year, I personally chose an internship to compliment my business/economics orientated application.

If you have any other questions regarding the procedure or my experience doing this please do let me know.

**Deadline for signing-up for November session is July 28, after this sign-up costs increase
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LGoncalves
Hi jk2212,
I was in the exact same situation as you last year (sat the May 2015 session and resat in the November 2015 session), missed my offer from Kings due to Physics HL so I decided to re-sit the paper in the November Session. It is absolutely possible for you to do this, however you must have everything prepared and your UCAS profile set up and filled in (apart from the resit grades) before you even get your IB results. I had about a week between receiving my IB results and sending off my IB application so you gotta be organized in order to not miss the deadline (mainly due to uncertainty in which uni to apply to).

Before you make the decision to pretty much take a gap year in order to re-sit some exams you have to make sure that the university/course accepts applicants with resits or applicants with grades form 2 different exam sessions (Durham and King's accepted my 2016 entry UCAS application and am currently holding an unconditional from Durham, however i'm unsure about UCL though). If you do get accepted into your reserve choice uni but still want to do this, you will have to reject their offer in order to open up an application on UCAS 2017.

Also very important to check is if your school will provide support or resources for your re-sit, especially since you are planning to potentially resit 4 subject (2 of them being maths and physics HL) and get 7's, if you don't get school support seek out a tuition centre as it will be very difficult to prepare for all 4 subjects alone.

And a personal word of advice, find something else to do during the gap year to improve your Personal Statement or else when you apply the uni's will wonder what you have done for the rest of your gap year, I personally chose an internship to compliment my business/economics orientated application.

If you have any other questions regarding the procedure or my experience doing this please do let me know.

**Deadline for signing-up for November session is July 28, after this sign-up costs increase

Hey LGoncalves, congratulation for getting the offers from Durham and Kings.

If you wouldn't me mind asking, which course have you applied?

The fact that you mentioned physics HL sounds like you've applied into natural science/mathematics field.
Actually no, I went for Business Management (Just Management in some cases), I chose HL Physics because I like the subject and thought it would be interesting. Looking back I could have done it at SL (and done Spanish at HL) and it would have perhaps made my diploma much easier but I still enjoyed the challenging course and had fun doing it, so much fun that I decided to re sit the papers haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending