Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys

Apologies for if this sounds stupid/pathetic, but I just feel really frustrated right now
    I get OCD over certain things, like when I wash my clothes and people touch them when they're wet/or when my clothes are dry & people touch them, my towels I use to dry myself with after I shower, etc. Anyway I get told to not be 'so ridiculous' over it when I tell people not to touch them. I honestly can't help it and feel stupid because of it and I feel kinda scared to ask for some help in case I get laughed at for it :'( any advice/opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys

Apologies for if this sounds stupid/pathetic, but I just feel really frustrated right now
    I get OCD over certain things, like when I wash my clothes and people touch them when they're wet/or when my clothes are dry & people touch them, my towels I use to dry myself with after I shower, etc. Anyway I get told to not be 'so ridiculous' over it when I tell people not to touch them. I honestly can't help it and feel stupid because of it and I feel kinda scared to ask for some help in case I get laughed at for it :'( any advice/opinions?
    Hey, you won't get laughed at if you ask for help. People are OCD about different things. Have you tried keeping your clothes in your room or a cupboard which you could lock? Or do you mean people touch it whilst it's still in the washing machine/dryer? What do you do if somebody touches your clothes, do you re-wash them? Just tell them outright your OCD about it and can't put up with it and trust me talk to somebody about it - a professional won't laugh.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    There's tons tons of articles if you google.

This one seems ok and might help you to understand and control it better. It is not stupid or pathetic.
    https://www.anxietybc.com/sites/defa...dult_hmocd.pdf

(Original post by aarora;[url="tel:64748511")
    64748511[/url]]Hey, you won't get laughed at if you ask for help. People are OCD about different things. Have you tried keeping your clothes in your room or a cupboard which you could lock? Or do you mean people touch it whilst it's still in the washing machine/dryer? What do you do if somebody touches your clothes, do you re-wash them? Just tell them outright your OCD about it and can't put up with it and trust me talk to somebody about it - a professional won't laugh.
    Hey
    It's when they're being washed/dried. I tell them not to touch it as I don't like people touching my clothes, and that's when I get the 'don't be so ridiculous' comment :/

Thanks

(Original post by 999tigger)
    There's tons tons of articles if you google.

This one seems ok and might help you to understand and control it better. It is not stupid or pathetic.
    https://www.anxietybc.com/sites/defa...dult_hmocd.pdf
    Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks
    There are a lot more articles just google them. That one is a bit more indepth and has good explanations on strategies that fail and ones that will work for you. It requires you to take it seriously. Uf you do then you should be able to manage it so its ok and doesnt upset you.

It should also reassure you that plenty of people have this issue, so dont feel alone.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    It's when they're being washed/dried. I tell them not to touch it as I don't like people touching my clothes, and that's when I get the 'don't be so ridiculous' comment :/

Thanks
    What you could maybe do if they don't stop is wash/dry your clothes at certain times e.g. before you go to bed and then take them out really early in the morning before everybody wakes up. I know it might be a bit of an inconvenience to you but if it leaves you satisfied why not..

(Original post by 999tigger)
    There are a lot more articles just google them. That one is a bit more indepth and has good explanations on strategies that fail and ones that will work for you. It requires you to take it seriously. Uf you do then you should be able to manage it so its ok and doesnt upset you.

It should also reassure you that plenty of people have this issue, so dont feel alone.
    Thanks

(Original post by aarora)
    What you could maybe do if they don't stop is wash/dry your clothes at certain times e.g. before you go to bed and then take them out really early in the morning before everybody wakes up. I know it might be a bit of an inconvenience to you but if it leaves you satisfied why not..
    Yeah could try that thanks

ReputationRep:
    As someone who suffered from severe ocd I would advise you do not give into the compulsions. Do your best to just do things normally. I know your thinking its impossible, thats what I thought but trust me do it now before it gets worse. Im not saying it definitely will btw. Mine started off with small things and then slowly got worse so my advice is to tackle it before it does develop into something that impacts your life more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.