The Student Room Group

iGCSE geography help!

Hey guys, I understand everything but the formation of meanders, oxbow lakes and interlocking spurs! I've tried to search online but none of the videos explain them very well (or I'm just dumb). Could anyone please help me? Thank you
Reply 1
oxbow lakes are formed from erosion of the sides of the meanders and the meanders start to bend so much the river just cuts through it forming a normal straight river and seperated the former meander making it a lake, called an oxbow lake

interlocking spurs is caused by sideways erosion of the sides of the banks which makes them bend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Meanders form in the lower and middle course of a river, as a result of lateral (sideways) erosion. The helical flow of the river leads to erosion in the outer bends and deposition in the inner bends. This process narrows the meander neck. Over time, often during a flood, water cuts through the narrowed neck to form a straight channel. Deposition on the banks of the channel causes the meander to be cut off, and form an oxbow lake.

Quick Reply

Latest