Turn on thread page Beta

Need to email landlord about year abroad situation watch

ReputationRep:
    Entered into a private tenancy for this coming year before I knew I had been put forward for a year studying abroad. I still don't have confirmation or acknowledgement by that host institution to say I'm definitely going (and it partially depends on my exam results). This is through no fault of my own, I haven't received any information whether I have been accepted or when I will find out.
    I don't want anyone jumping down my throat saying I shouldn't have entered the tenancy. In any case, you're about eight months too late to tell me that

I need to email the landlord to say if I do go on this year abroad, can I advertise a free room and find a new tenant. Naturally, I understand that if I do not find anyone I'm still in the contract, still got to pay rent.

If someone could help me phrase this email without me sounding like an airhead, that would be veryyy much appreciated.

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It will most likely be a yes on allowing you to find a replacement.

Just email him, id who you are and what property plus when your tenancy runs from.
    Then tell him that you have just found out you have been forwarded by your department to do the year abroad.
    Then explain that you understand you have a tenancy with him, but ask if you found him a new tenant, then would that be acceptable?

Dont worry its very common. You did ok from above. Just keep it short and to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liomeeringca)
    Entered into a private tenancy for this coming year before I knew I had been put forward for a year studying abroad. I still don't have confirmation or acknowledgement by that host institution to say I'm definitely going (and it partially depends on my exam results). This is through no fault of my own, I haven't received any information whether I have been accepted or when I will find out.
    I don't want anyone jumping down my throat saying I shouldn't have entered the tenancy. In any case, you're about eight months too late to tell me that

I need to email the landlord to say if I do go on this year abroad, can I advertise a free room and find a new tenant. Naturally, I understand that if I do not find anyone I'm still in the contract, still got to pay rent.

If someone could help me phrase this email without me sounding like an airhead, that would be veryyy much appreciated.

Thank you
    Hi there,

I am scheduled to be your tenant at (address) for the coming year. I would like to make you aware that I will potentially be offered a position at an institution abroad for the coming year, meaning I cannot fulfil the current agreement. The position has not been confirmed yet, and may be dependent on my exam results. I do not yet have a confirmed date of when I will find out.

If the opportunity is offered to me, how do you suggest we go forward? Do you give me permission to advertise the room in order to find a replacement tenant?

Many thanks,

(Your name)

Does that sound like the sort of message you want to put across? I tried to make it sound reasonably professional so that they reply in an equally respectful manner. Hope that helps Feel free to literally copy and paste if you think its suitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It will most likely be a yes on allowing you to find a replacement.

Just email him, id who you are and what property plus when your tenancy runs from.
    Then tell him that you have just found out you have been forwarded by your department to do the year abroad.
    Then explain that you understand you have a tenancy with him, but ask if you found him a new tenant, then would that be acceptable?

Dont worry its very common. You did ok from above. Just keep it short and to the point.

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Hi there,

I am scheduled to be your tenant at (address) for the coming year. I would like to make you aware that I will potentially be offered a position at an institution abroad for the coming year, meaning I cannot fulfil the current agreement. The position has not been confirmed yet, and may be dependent on my exam results. I do not yet have a confirmed date of when I will find out.

If the opportunity is offered to me, how do you suggest we go forward? Do you give me permission to advertise the room in order to find a replacement tenant?

Many thanks,

(Your name)

Does that sound like the sort of message you want to put across? I tried to make it sound reasonably professional so that they reply in an equally respectful manner. Hope that helps Feel free to literally copy and paste if you think its suitable.
    Ah, thanks so much for the draft email structure! I struggle with email communciation, cause it's so easy for me to give off the wrong impression Emailed them this morning, thank you again and have a great rest of your day

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the communication with the landlord. If it doesn't get resolved, though, come back here. Does the tenancy commit you to the whole year, or is there a 'break' clause or ability to terminate on giving notice?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Davide_online)
    Good luck with the communication with the landlord. If it doesn't get resolved, though, come back here. Does the tenancy commit you to the whole year, or is there a 'break' clause or ability to terminate on giving notice?
    If its students then it's highly unlikely there will be any break clause. The only likely termination clause will be in the case of breach. Thats how these agreements are written. The OP has plenty of time to find a new tenant and its a common situation the LL will have encountered before.

ReputationRep:
    If its students then it's highly unlikely there will be any break clause. The only likely termination clause will be in the case of breach. Thats how these agreements are written. The OP has plenty of time to find a new tenant and its a common situation the LL will have encountered before.
    Noted. What kind of tenancy, or licence, do you suppose it to be?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Davide_online)
    Noted. What kind of tenancy, or licence, do you suppose it to be?
    I'd imagine it will just be a fixed term tenancy of 12 months with no break clause and any right to terminate being limited to substantila breach by the LL.

LL's make their money renting to students based on a whole year let otherwise students would just rent for term times, which would leave it unless during the summer. It would also be disastrous if students could come and go becayse then they have the hassle of finding someone else. Much better to do take it or leave the teancy for 12 months.

Private rented tenancies can be quite difficult as well. its all about bargaining power. A lot of LL's just get a precedent and bever update it. the terms tend to be very one sided.

in LL and tenant situations, then you always need to start by reading the agreement, which we dont have.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I strongly agree with the point made in your final paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    The letting agency says it's fine, but I need 'written consent from all your housemates confirming they agree to a new tenant moving into the property'. This mean that I can type out a one size fits all document for them and have them sign it? Or is there a specific document I need to download/emulate?

Thanks for all your help, everyone.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by liomeeringca)
    The letting agency says it's fine, but I need 'written consent from all your housemates confirming they agree to a new tenant moving into the property'. This mean that I can type out a one size fits all document for them and have them sign it? Or is there a specific document I need to download/emulate?

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

1. Did the letting agency say that over the phone or email you? As i always like proof then if it was a phone call make a note of what was said, the date and time plus who you spoke to.

2. If you need consent of your housemates to be, then maybe make one document with all the relevant details on and get them to sign it either A in advance or B when they have approved the replacement you find.

Just include the obvious and keep it simple. You can all sign and date it. Im assuming the LA are happy for you to get on with it?

ReputationRep:
    1. Did the letting agency say that over the phone or email you? As i always like proof then if it was a phone call make a note of what was said, the date and time plus who you spoke to.

2. If you need consent of your housemates to be, then maybe make one document with all the relevant details on and get them to sign it either A in advance or B when they have approved the replacement you find.

Just include the obvious and keep it simple. You can all sign and date it. Im assuming the LA are happy for you to get on with it?
    They emailed me, I get the 'like to have proof' thing though. Yeah, the LA are ok with it, they just gave me some pointers and the go ahead. Thanks for replying

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.