Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sanders: Nominating Clinton would be ‘disaster’ for party, nation Watch

ReputationRep:
    Fresh off a big win in the West Virginia primary, Sen. Bernard Sanders‘ campaign said Wednesday the Democratic Party would be courting “disaster” if it nominates Hillary Clinton as its presidential nominee.

In a fundraising email to supporters, Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver cited recent polls showing the Vermont senator performing better against Republican Donald Trump in general election match-ups. Recent surveys have shown Mrs. Clinton virtually tied with Mr. Trump in the key battleground states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida.

Citing those troubling figures, Mr. Weaver said the Democratic Party — and its superdelegates who are free to support either candidate — must reject Mrs. Clinton and embrace Mr. Sanders, or face a crushing defeat in November.

For months, Bernie Sanders has out-polled Hillary Clinton against Donald Trump, and often by extraordinarily large margins. Because we must do everything we can to defeat Trump in November, our mission is to win as many pledged delegates as we can between now and June 14,
    when the primary season ends, Mr. Weaver said.
    Then we’re going to have a contested convention where the Democratic Party must decide if they want the candidate with the momentum who is best positioned to beat Trump, or if they are willing to roll the dice and court disaster simply to protect the status quo for the political and financial establishment of this country.
    Mr. Weaver also dismissed the notion that his candidate fares better against Mr. Trump only because he hasn’t been under the same white-hot spotlight Mrs. Clinton has faced for years.

Some people say we do better against Trump because we haven’t faced the Republican attack machine yet. But we’ve been told our goals for the future are utopian, and that our plans would raise taxes on middle class families. We just never thought those attacks would come in a Democratic primary. Yet somehow we keep winning,
    he said.
    We are the best chance to defeat Trump because people united can never be defeated. That is why we must keep fighting.
    For her part, Mrs. Clinton still is trying to ignore Mr. Sanders and turn all of her attention to the November battle with Mr. Trump.

But even the Clinton campaign has been forced to concede that it is neck and neck with Mr. Trump in key battleground states, and actually trailing in Ohio, according to recent polling. Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook on Wednesday morning sounded an almost desperate tone in a fundraising email, saying Mrs. Clinton needs more money or she risks falling even further behind against Mr. Trump.

I can’t say this enough times: These polls don’t predict the future. We can change them by making sure voters know about Hillary’s vision for our country. But we need to get started RIGHT NOW,
    he said before asking supporters to donate to the campaign.

The fundraising pitch cited this week’s Quinnipiac survey of battleground states, which shows Mrs. Clinton leading Mr. Trump by just 1 percentage point in Florida and Pennsylvania and down by 4 percentage points in Ohio.

While those poll numbers surely are alarming for Democrats, it’s now all but certain Mrs. Clinton will be her party’s nominee.

She leads Mr. Sanders among pledged delegates 1,716 to 1,433, according to an Associated Press tally. Among superdelegates, she’s ahead 524 to 40.

It takes 2,383 delegates to seal the nomination.
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...d-be-disaster/

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know who's in the lead at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Trump has radical views

Clinton is just a lying woman with views that contradict the views she used to put forward

Sanders just seems like a smart man with good intentions but his campaign has been too based on niceness/ supporting the less fortunate. The only people that vote for presidents like that tend to be women, but all the women of America are stupid enough to assume Clinton is a good idea.

Basically have fun America because you are screwed if either Trump or Clinton wins loool. Both radical extremist people, you'll all be begging for Obama back within weeks

ReputationRep:
    Don't even get me started on superdelegates

Sanders beat Clinton 53/48% in Rhode Island, managing to get 32,000 more people to vote for him rather than Hillary, yet 9 "superdelegates" who obviously deserve to represent 3,560 people EACH and pledged to Clinton meant that Hillary came out with more delegates overall.

It's corrupt, undemocratic and by no means represents who people actually want running the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    The only people that vote for presidents like that tend to be women

but his campaign has been too based on niceness/ supporting the less fortunate. The only people that vote for presidents like that tend to be women
    I believe the gender gap, while quite large, has been narrowing for a while now, for extreme political views

All research I have come across (admittedly very rare and difficult to find), shows that an increasing proportion of nationalists seem to be women, and an increasing proportion of regressives are men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I believe the gender gap, while quite large, has been narrowing for a while now, for extreme political views

All research I have come across (admittedly very rare and difficult to find), shows that an increasing proportion of nationalists seem to be women, and an increasing proportion of regressives are men.
    Women are more emotive, his campaign is an emotive one. He puts how people feel beyond what's technically good for an economy. That is certainly more appealing to more emotive people.

ReputationRep:
    There was an article on FiveThirtyEight about the supposed swing states polling tie. In short, they change from cycle to cycle more than you think.

For example, in Obama's two elections, Virginia was a swing state, with Obama winning by a margin similar to his national winning margin. By contrast, Bush safely won Virginia in both his elections desipite very close popular vote margins (indeed, Bush lost tje popular vote in 2000).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Trump has radical views
    Trump doesn't have radical views. It may appear that way to you because the West has been moving to the left since 1945.

ReputationRep:
    I find it interesting how Trump's views are seen as radical yet we just view Sanders' as 'normal'. The fact is that both are populists and have very similar views on a number of things. The real difference occurs in how they want to tackle these issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plstudent)
    Trump doesn't have radical views. It may appear that way to you because the West has been moving to the left since 1945.
    That has got to be the least persuasive load of crap I've ever heard :lol: :lol:

ReputationRep:
    That has got to be the least persuasive load of crap I've ever heard :lol: :lol:
    Yes you're right. I even heard that Trump supporters think men and women are different. It doesn't get much more radical than that these days.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see DJ Trump as the next President of the United States.

ReputationRep:
    The other user is right, most of Trumps policies are based on enforcing existing laws and running the economy similar to how it used to be.

(Original post by george_c00per)
    Don't even get me started on superdelegates

Sanders beat Clinton 53/48% in Rhode Island, managing to get 32,000 more people to vote for him rather than Hillary, yet 9 "superdelegates" who obviously deserve to represent 3,560 people EACH and pledged to Clinton meant that Hillary came out with more delegates overall.

It's corrupt, undemocratic and by no means represents who people actually want running the country.
    Be that as it may, even if the superdelegates of every state decided to honour the popular vote in that state, Sanders would only make a net gain of 130 superdelegates. Realistically, he would need many of Clinton's superdelegates as well, and I don't see that happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Be that as it may, even if the superdelegates of every state decided to honour the popular vote in that state, Sanders would only make a net gain of 130 superdelegates. Realistically, he would need many of Clinton's superdelegates as well, and I don't see that happening.
    Well hopefully if he wins California, New Jersey, and Oregon in the next few weeks (all states with a high delegate count), if the superdelegates there decided to honour their vote to the winner of the state Sanders still has a good chance.
    It's definitely not impossible that he will become the nominee for the Democratic Party, it's just not looking great at the moment because Clinton won 5 of the 6 states in the Acela Primary.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.