Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yo guys,

Any help would be gratefully appreciated! Dunno if im making a stupid mistake and not seeing it or the answers wrong.. :L most likely the first case!

Name:  volume of a box tsr.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  399.8 KB

Im doing Question 2, and heres my working out:

sides of the box will be (6-x) as ive labelled. Making the total Volume of the box to be V=(6-x)(6-x)x which expanded out becomes V=x^3 - 12x^2 + 36x

differentiate that and you get dV/ds = 3X^2 - 24x + 36. Then find the stationary points, of which the maximum would be the largest volume possible point and hence the corresponding x value, which according to the question should be 1.

so you i found two stationary points, x=6 and x=2, plugging them in you see that x=2 is the maximum stationary point. pretty obvious i know when ofc if x=6, the volume would be zero.

but then this means the max volume would be if x=2 in the diagram, not x=1 like the answers suggests...? ive even plugged x=2 and x=1 into my original V (volume) equation and it shows x=2 producing a larger volume... so is there something wrong with me volume equation?

Please help TSR community... *echo community*

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm1)
    Yo guys,

Any help would be gratefully appreciated! Dunno if im making a stupid mistake and not seeing it or the answers wrong.. :L most likely the first case!

Name:  volume of a box tsr.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  399.8 KB

Im doing Question 2, and heres my working out:

sides of the box will be (6-x) as ive labelled. Making the total Volume of the box to be V=(6-x)(6-x)x which expanded out becomes V=x^3 - 12x^2 + 36x

differentiate that and you get dV/ds = 3X^2 - 24x + 36. Then find the stationary points, of which the maximum would be the largest volume possible point and hence the corresponding x value, which according to the question should be 1.

so you i found two stationary points, x=6 and x=2, plugging them in you see that x=2 is the maximum stationary point. pretty obvious i know when ofc if x=6, the volume would be zero.

but then this means the max volume would be if x=2 in the diagram, not x=1 like the answers suggests...? ive even plugged x=2 and x=1 into my original V (volume) equation and it shows x=2 producing a larger volume... so is there something wrong with me volume equation?

Please help TSR community... *echo community*

Cheers
    Scratch all that lol... realised the formula for volume should be (6-2x) not (6-x)... im gunna go ahead and blame the fact ive been working since 7am is the cause of this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.