Turn on thread page Beta

Chipped a tooth - what should I do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So today I was about to head to the gym and as a pre workout snack I had a protein bar (MyBar Zero from MyProtein). These are soft bars, though they contain small cacao nibs. When it bit down into it, I chipped my tooth badly on a large cacao nib, which was like a large piece of gravel; rock hard.

I'm booking a check up at the dentist tomorrow, and I'd imagine I'll need to get a crown for the tooth (molar, second from the back on the bottom left) which will cost a few hundred quid.

I'd like to know what I should do regarding claiming for the damage done I.e. Compensation at least covering the cost of the dentist work. The fault was not my own and entirely of MyProtein for including such an ingredient in the bars, moreover not checking the quality control for such a large piece.

The thing is, I write articles for MyProtein and get vouchers to buy their products. I don't want to jeopardise this. I've had over £1000 of products from their site, and I've tried everything they sell that's half decent, and I've had no issues until this point.

I want to resolve this the right way, without causing any conflict between myself and MyProtein. How should I go about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JC.)
    So today I was about to head to the gym and as a pre workout snack I had a protein bar (MyBar Zero from MyProtein). These are soft bars, though they contain small cacao nibs. When it bit down into it, I chipped my tooth badly on a large cacao nib, which was like a large piece of gravel; rock hard.

I'm booking a check up at the dentist tomorrow, and I'd imagine I'll need to get a crown for the tooth (molar, second from the back on the bottom left) which will cost a few hundred quid.

I'd like to know what I should do regarding claiming for the damage done I.e. Compensation at least covering the cost of the dentist work. The fault was not my own and entirely of MyProtein for including such an ingredient in the bars, moreover not checking the quality control for such a large piece.

The thing is, I write articles for MyProtein and get vouchers to buy their products. I don't want to jeopardise this. I've had over £1000 of products from their site, and I've tried everything they sell that's half decent, and I've had no issues until this point.

I want to resolve this the right way, without causing any conflict between myself and MyProtein. How should I go about this?
    No idea mate you should post in health or fitness section...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    No idea mate you should post in health or fitness section...
    This is more about claiming for 'injury' or 'negligence' or whatever you want to call it, so I thought it would be better to post it here.

The point I was making about the protein and writing articles etc. is that I work for them and want to continue to do so, therefore I want to approach this in the right way, rather than just demanding compensation.

ReputationRep:
    How do I sue someone without causing conflict? Haha! Grow up.

Also - your fault for not reading what was in the bar, for not biting gently and for having weak teeth.

Stop with this claim culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Time to get a new haircut and embrace it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    How do I sue someone without causing conflict? Haha! Grow up.

Also - your fault for not reading what was in the bar, for not biting gently and for having weak teeth.

Stop with this claim culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Never said I was looking to sue. Often with cases like these the company will send you a cheque for the cost of the dental treatment, which would be ideal as it's not an overly serious matter so I doubt I could get much more. Suing would not make much sense.

It's not my fault at all, hahaha don't make me laugh. I already stated that I write for them so I know the products inside out. I've had several boxes (i.e. dozens of the bars) before so I know exactly what's in them. I've noticed the cacao can be a little hard and sometimes I bite into it but its not been an issue, I've just taken care. I bit into it and it was inside the bar, I couldn't see it and it was a large piece that chipped my tooth. I don't have weak teeth, don't have any issues with them. Stop assuming ****.

Like I said, I've probably consumed more stuff from this site than most other people. I doubt many others have even had close to what I've had from there. I've never had any issues but law of averages would state that if such an incident could occur then it would likely occur to me at some point, given that I order to much from there.

Seriously, theres no need to be such a **** about it. I came here to ask for help, and all you've done is assume things and give me crap. I think you're the one who needs to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)

Time to get a new haircut and embrace it
    It's not visible so thats not the issue

It's a molar at the back and the dentin is exposed, and also I believe a bit of the nerve at the bottom. If this is the case, then a crown at least will be required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JC.)
    It's not visible so thats not the issue

It's a molar at the back and the dentin is exposed, and also I believe a bit of the nerve at the bottom. If this is the case, then a crown at least will be required.
    Ahhh that sounds nasty. You mentioned writing articles for them, perhaps you have contacts that could point you to the right person/department that can help? I didn't realise most dental services aren't covered by NHS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)
    Ahhh that sounds nasty. You mentioned writing articles for them, perhaps you have contacts that could point you to the right person/department that can help? I didn't realise most dental services aren't covered by NHS
    I've emailed the woman who I have the most contact with. She is in charge of the 'blog' page on their site, though I don't think much more. She does have contact with people higher up, i.e. the CEO etc. as he once requested a specific article which I wrote. This could bode well, though I don't know how it will pan out.

At the very least, hopefully they can take it into account and change the product so that this doesn't happen again in the future. The cacao nibs really don't do anything and theres no reason why they should be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JC.)
    Never said I was looking to sue. Often with cases like these the company will send you a cheque for the cost of the dental treatment, which would be ideal as it's not an overly serious matter so I doubt I could get much more. Suing would not make much sense.

It's not my fault at all, hahaha don't make me laugh. I already stated that I write for them so I know the products inside out. I've had several boxes (i.e. dozens of the bars) before so I know exactly what's in them. I've noticed the cacao can be a little hard and sometimes I bite into it but its not been an issue, I've just taken care. I bit into it and it was inside the bar, I couldn't see it and it was a large piece that chipped my tooth. I don't have weak teeth, don't have any issues with them. Stop assuming ****.

Like I said, I've probably consumed more stuff from this site than most other people. I doubt many others have even had close to what I've had from there. I've never had any issues but law of averages would state that if such an incident could occur then it would likely occur to me at some point, given that I order to much from there.

Seriously, theres no need to be such a **** about it. I came here to ask for help, and all you've done is assume things and give me crap. I think you're the one who needs to grow up.
    You say you eat more of it than other people and that the law of averages says this would happen to you. So it wouldn't be likely to affect the average person but you eat truck loads of it. How is it their fault that you put yourself at a higher risk?

That's like saying you're going to ask Tesco for compensation because their carrots turned you orange - well they only do that if you eat a ton of them. Seriously lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    You say you eat more of it than other people and that the law of averages says this would happen to you. So it wouldn't be likely to affect the average person but you eat truck loads of it. How is it their fault that you put yourself at a higher risk?

That's like saying you're going to ask Tesco for compensation because their carrots turned you orange - well they only do that if you eat a ton of them. Seriously lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seriously wtf are you chatting?

I'm saying that because I have had so many of their products in general, and I've had quite a few of these bars before, the chances of this happening to me are greater than to someone who say just had 1.

There should be no 'risk' it's their fault for putting in such a large piece that can cause such damage. It shouldn't have passed quality control.

That's such a stupid comparison, but if that did happen to you then you could claim compensation. I never said I ate a stupid amount of them, say one a day for example. Its not the fact that I've eaten so many that caused it. If you had bitten into the bar like I did then would have probably chipped a tooth too.

Seriously, go and read what you're typing. You sound like a child.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you could talk to one of MyProteins representatives to talk about the issue and maybe just mention that you're an ambassador for their products, really like their things but you chipped your tooth on one of their products would they be able to say cover the cost of the treatment. Or maybe ask if there was someone to talk to regarding the issue you have. If there anyone you know in the company who could help you broach this topic?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 12, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.