Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Immortality in the form of uploading the mind to a computer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Could this not be far off? Given the extreme advances in technology and the ability of computers to hold massive amounts of data (just look at 2016 computers compared to 1980s), is uploading people's minds to a computer a possibility in the near future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Could this not be far off? Given the extreme advances in technology and the ability of computers to hold massive amounts of data (just look at 2016 computers compared to 1980s), is uploading people's minds to a computer a possibility in the near future?
    I think it would have to be a pretty extreme technological advancement to allow this to happen. Scientists don't even know how the mind works right?

Also it would be a bit thought police, Orwell's worst nightmares would be realised!

ReputationRep:
    Impossible with today's technology.
    On a wider scale this idea is unethical.
    You would need thousands if not millions of terrabytes of data, per person, to pull this off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Computer science knowledge has been increasing exponentially however as another user has said knowledge in neuroscience is the main limiting factor.

Also, there are multiple connotations to the idea of mind uploading. For example, if you mean a virtual reality then that may not be the optimum result anyway re: Nozick's Experience Machine.

ReputationRep:
    What if we removed the Hayflick limit from all our cells by keeping telomerase active all the time and made them immortal

would we live forever? :eek: :lol:
    or would be just grow and grow until we became a giant ball of mass that blood couldnt get to and end up dying x_x :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiyasU)
    Impossible with today's technology.
    On a wider scale this idea is unethical.
    You would need thousands if not millions of terrabytes of data, per person, to pull this off.
    It wouldn't be unethical when we become technologically advanced enough to be able to store much more data than available now. Computers used to take up an entire room to process kilobytes of data, now we have hard discs as big as our phones holding terabytes. As long as Moore's law hold up (which experts say it might stop being true in the near future) there is nothing preventing us from being able to store everyone's minds electronically, regardless of however much data it takes.

ReputationRep:
    I often wonder about things like this and the (often boring) ramifications that come with it. For example, if immortality were possible in some way, would it even be legalised? How ridiculously expensive would it be? Would we even be allowed the possibility of immortality given that the world is already overpopulated with limited resources as it is. These questions always end up quashing my dreams, and it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you just watched Captain America: Winter Soldier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhimsicalSloth)
    I often wonder about things like this and the (often boring) ramifications that come with it. For example, if immortality were possible in some way, would it even be legalised? How ridiculously expensive would it be? Would we even be allowed the possibility of immortality given that the world is already overpopulated with limited resources as it is. These questions always end up quashing my dreams, and it sucks.
    Actually if immortality is possible through storing the mind in computers instead of physically living forever, it might be much more sustainable. Mammals are terribly inefficient to run but electronics on the other hand can be powered by renewable sources (or atleast skipping the entire food chain where most of the energy is waster). It might just the be the best form of immortality possible(for Earth)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)
    Actually if immortality is possible through storing the mind in computers instead of physically living forever, it might be much more sustainable. Mammals are terribly inefficient to run but electronics on the other hand can be powered by renewable sources (or atleast skipping the entire food chain where most of the energy is waster). It might just the be the best form of immortality possible(for Earth)
    That is a very good point although I do mean to speak in general terms, partly because I'm a big scaredy-cat as I don't want to get ahead of myself with such ideas. For example, I get the sense that it's such an foreseeable notion with plenty of unanswered, dubious questions surrounding it, whose ramifications are so complex and unpredictable that we cannot even fathom it right now. But it's fun and interesting to guess though.

ReputationRep:
    That is a very good point although I do mean to speak in general terms, partly because I'm a big scaredy-cat as I don't want to get ahead of myself with such ideas. For example, I get the sense that it's such an foreseeable notion with plenty of unanswered, dubious questions surrounding it, whose ramifications are so complex and unpredictable that we cannot even fathom it right now. But it's fun and interesting to guess though.
    Hey maybe if we're lucky it'll be invented before we die. But to be honest, I doubt modern civilization will last long enough for us to get that far

ReputationRep:
    Hey maybe if we're lucky it'll be invented before we die. But to be honest, I doubt modern civilization will last long enough for us to get that far
    I know exactly what you mean which is kind of hilariously tragic when you think about it! We're certainly clever enough to invent such a concept, but we're far too absorbed in our own greed and stupidity to evolve and withstand the drawbacks of our own genius.

ReputationRep:
    hackers would threaten your relatives with encrypting your mind-files...

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean which is kind of hilariously tragic when you think about it! We're certainly clever enough to invent such a concept, but we're far too absorbed in our own greed and stupidity to evolve and withstand the drawbacks of our own genius.
    Not to sound like a ****, but the collective history of humanity has convinced me we do not deserve immortality... atleast Earth doesn't deserve us

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound like a ****, but the collective history of humanity has convinced me we do not deserve immortality... atleast Earth doesn't deserve us
    :lol: Not dickish in the slightest! I agree with everything you have said and it is a very sad truth that some people will just never accept or come to terms with. I'm a huge history buff and, as you say, it's enough to make me realise that humanity has continued (and no doubt will continue) to repeat the same old mistakes time and time again...I need a joke to cheer myself up with now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.