The Student Room Group

M1 question

Horizontal forces each of magnitude 10N, act in the direction of the bearings 040 degrees, 160 degrees and 280 degrees, are these forces in equalibrium? Im kinda confused, mainly because they is no they give me, Im pretty sure the method is to find Forces Right = forces left and they should equal each other, they dont when I do it but the answer says they do?
Original post by SunDun111
Horizontal forces each of magnitude 10N, act in the direction of the bearings 040 degrees, 160 degrees and 280 degrees, are these forces in equalibrium? Im kinda confused, mainly because they is no they give me, Im pretty sure the method is to find Forces Right = forces left and they should equal each other, they dont when I do it but the answer says they do?

Draw a diagram. You have 10 N going 40 degrees clockwise from North, 10N going 20 degrees anticlockwise from South, 10N going 10 degrees clockwise from West. Now you resolve the forces on both horizontal and vertical axis.

This should give 2 equations:
Horizontal : 10cos 10 = 10sin40 + 10sin20
Vertical: 10sin10 + 10cos40=10cos20

Both of which area valid, therefore the forces are in equilibrium.
Note that the angle between two subsequent forces is 120 degrees. Just prove that the sum of any two of them is opposite to the third.
Following is another way, just have a look.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iqJImnYHZ6b3REQ2dtd1puamM/view?usp=sharing
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest