Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP: Can't be bothered to revise for RS (Edexcel Units 1 and 8) anymore! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have left it VERY late (like I started today) which is bad enough, but having started revising like three topics, I am already feeling bored as **** with the subject!

The things I have to learn aren't even true: for example, the causation argument -

"The Universe didn't come from nothing", they say.
    "Everything is caused by something."
    "That something must be God."
    "Therefore God exists."

I mean, what complete and utter ********e is that?
    Chat **** get banged is what I say.

Religious Studies is only another GCSE, I know, but the revision for it is killing me!

Revise or don't?

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    I have left it VERY late (like I started today) which is bad enough, but having started revising like three topics, I am already feeling bored as **** with the subject!

The things I have to learn aren't even true: for example, the causation argument -

"Therefore God exists."

Religious Studies is only another GCSE, I know, but the revision for it is killing me!

Revise or don't?
    Something's missing between these 2 steps however i agree with you it's balls and i think religion is just trying to prove something which doesn't exist.

It's easy to revise, learn some key terms and know what they mean, stuff like ivf learning arguments for existence of god and all that.

then learn 2 religions and their teachings then apply them(i hated it just as much as you but to get a good grade, in those 6 markers you gotta include religious teachings or whatever)

ReputationRep:
    Just wing it like me and get a B. I even turned up 30 minutes late to the exam... by accident.

It's just quotes and common sense imo. Just revise some arguments and quotes, and you're done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Moisty)
    Something's missing between these 2 steps however i agree with you it's balls and i think religion is just trying to prove something which doesn't exist.

It's easy to revise, learn some key terms and know what they mean, stuff like ivf learning arguments for existence of god and all that.

then learn 2 religions and their teachings then apply them(i hated it just as much as you but to get a good grade, in those 6 markers you gotta include religious teachings or whatever)
    Forgot what that step is now; just typed it out off the top of my head.

Thanks for the advice! Do you reckon 1-2 days revision on this would suffice? My exam is on Monday. Another thing is, as well, I have Paper 2 (Unit 8) on Wednesday which I also haven't revised for - so after Monday's exam, I'll be revising Biology and no time will be left for RS?

I know it's annoying to see someone leave their revision until the last minute.

ReputationRep:
    looks like love thy neighbour, sanctity of life and it's in the Bible/Qur'an are gonna be your best friends, good luck

(have unit two and unit eight next week, you have more than enough time tbh)

ReputationRep:

"Therefore God exists."

Revise or don't?
    Half the point of RE is to develop tolerance for other religions and beliefs through understanding, so that comment was a bit unnecessary. However, with RE (I am also sitting the exams on Monday and Thursday) it's mostly about strong exam technique; the vast majority of my answers are based on 'love thy neighbour', 'sanctity of life', 'the golden rule', 'situation ethics', 'playing God', the wedding vows and The Decalogue for Christianity, and I mostly refer to Sharia law, the Five Pillars of Islam, and teachings from the Quran for Islam, and human rights for both.

Despite the breadth of topics taught in RE, it is not necessary to learn individual reasons for each belief; just learn the general opinions on each topic (e.g. Most Muslims agree with abortion, most Christians disagree with abortion, most Muslims and Christians disagree with euthanasia) and use the most basic teachings from each religion, along with a good dose of common sense, to back them up.

It's most certainly doable; try to learn the key words if you haven't already because you'll lose a lot of hidden marks through those if you don't. Do the past papers and try to do the question set you don't want to choose, so that you are forced to learn new content, just in case that's actually the better option in the real thing!

Best of luck, let's hope for a nice, easy exam!
    (I also have a list of predicted topics for the U1 exam, although it's only my teacher's best estimates based on her experience with the exam board, if you'd like me to try and find it. It's expected that Islam will feature heavily this year as the exam board received criticism for a lack of Islam-based questions last year).

ReputationRep:
    Forgot what that step is now; just typed it out off the top of my head.

Thanks for the advice! Do you reckon 1-2 days revision on this would suffice? My exam is on Monday. Another thing is, as well, I have Paper 2 (Unit 8) on Wednesday which I also haven't revised for - so after Monday's exam, I'll be revising Biology and no time will be left for RS?

I know it's annoying to see someone leave their revision until the last minute.
    The only step there is faith. Which is stupid.

1-2 days should be enough, i believe you're sufficiently smart to pull this off.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.