Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just wanted to if there are any people on TRS who have vitiligo. I've recently got mark on both my hands and near my nose. If you do have it how do you cope with it. Is it treatable? Are there any people who've had it and now don't?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CosmicAero)
    Hi,

Just wanted to if there are any people on TRS who have vitiligo. I've recently got mark on both my hands and near my nose. If you do have it how do you cope with it. Is it treatable? Are there any people who've had it and now don't?

Thanks
    I haven't got it myself but know a few people who do. There are some options for treatment so it might be worth going to your GP to talk about it if it is something that bothers you.

Here is quite a good leaflet which explains it well.

http://patient.info/health/vitiligo-leaflet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CosmicAero)
    Hi,

Thanks
    Hey, I've had vitiligo since I was born (only a couple of spots initially) but it only really manifested a couple of years ago. I went to my GP (two years ago now) and was referred to a dermatologist, the treatment proposed however required several visits a week for a while and it just wasn't worth it. Instead I was referred to a red cross center and funnily spent my 21st birthday trying out camouflage creams haha. I actively keep looking for updates on treatments and I truly believe that something is on the horizon, there seem to have been several breakthroughs both in successful treatment with drugs and in the understanding of it. I'm lucky that I'm fair skinned so it doesn't bother me, however the camouflage cream really improves peoples outlooks so this is always an option. People report all over the internet of certain remedies working (I.e. I once tried ginkgo biloba for several months, and a pharmacist friend was in hysterics after she pointed out that it's used primarily for erectile dysfunction!). I guess in a really convoluted way what I'm trying to say is there are ways of overcoming the social impediment and treatments do work, just no one really knows how, YET. With regards to the sun and going out, I find that staying under the shade from 11-3 and a bit of factor 50 is fine - when it's hot of course. In your case though, I guess as the patches have just appeared this is the stage to avoid burning them in the sun.

I divulged massively but hopefully someone else may also read this if needs be. All the best, feel free to ask me anything else.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've had a patch of vitiligo since birth too. It's always stayed the same size since birth and hasn't spread, just grown with me. It's a few inches wide. I don't believe it is treatable, and I haven't heard of it just going.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.